Derek Lowe: ‘I’m playing [golf] tomorrow’
|05.10.12 at 11:50 pm ET|
Derek Lowe can feel Josh Beckett’s pain.
“Oh, I’ve been there,” the Indians starter said following his team’s 8-3 win over the Red Sox Thursday night at Fenway Park.
“I was telling a couple of guys, I remember in ’01, I was closing. I blew a three-run game in like literally 30 seconds and it happened to be they gave out my posters that day. Well, they turned into airplanes really fast. There was a 10-minute delay. They stopped the game. The whole nine yards. I sat in the clubhouse until 2 o’clock and I’d stick my head out to see if I could leave yet, and they would still be standing there saying, ‘I see you in there!’ Yeah, so no, I’ve seen worse. It’s happened to me.
“When you play here, you understand that’s part of it. If you go out there and probably don’t pitch the way you would like, they’re going to let you know about it.”
The former Red Sox pitcher’s reaction was in regard to questions about Beckett’s current state, which most recently included a 2 1/3-inning, seven-run outing. This comes, of course, after a day of controversy following news the Sox’ starter had golfed on the day after it was announced he was scratched from his May 5 start.
“I’m not going to get into that. I don’t play for that team,” Lowe said. “I have no idea what’s going on with that situation. But I do golf. Yes, I do golf. I’m playing tomorrow.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson strikes out 12 in win, Betts leads PawSox in route
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine