Derek Lowe: ‘I’m playing [golf] tomorrow’
|05.10.12 at 11:50 pm ET|
Derek Lowe can feel Josh Beckett‘s pain.
‘I was telling a couple of guys, I remember in ‘01, I was closing. I blew a three-run game in like literally 30 seconds and it happened to be they gave out my posters that day. Well, they turned into airplanes really fast. There was a 10-minute delay. They stopped the game. The whole nine yards. I sat in the clubhouse until 2 o’clock and I’d stick my head out to see if I could leave yet, and they would still be standing there saying, ‘I see you in there!’ Yeah, so no, I’ve seen worse. It’s happened to me.
‘When you play here, you understand that’s part of it. If you go out there and probably don’t pitch the way you would like, they’re going to let you know about it.’
The former Red Sox pitcher’s reaction was in regard to questions about Beckett’s current state, which most recently included a 2 1/3-inning, seven-run outing. This comes, of course, after a day of controversy following news the Sox’ starter had golfed on the day after it was announced he was scratched from his May 5 start.
‘I’m not going to get into that. I don’t play for that team,’ Lowe said. ‘I have no idea what’s going on with that situation. But I do golf. Yes, I do golf. I’m playing tomorrow.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th