Derek Lowe: ‘I’m playing [golf] tomorrow’
|05.10.12 at 11:50 pm ET|
Derek Lowe can feel Josh Beckett‘s pain.
‘I was telling a couple of guys, I remember in ‘01, I was closing. I blew a three-run game in like literally 30 seconds and it happened to be they gave out my posters that day. Well, they turned into airplanes really fast. There was a 10-minute delay. They stopped the game. The whole nine yards. I sat in the clubhouse until 2 o’clock and I’d stick my head out to see if I could leave yet, and they would still be standing there saying, ‘I see you in there!’ Yeah, so no, I’ve seen worse. It’s happened to me.
‘When you play here, you understand that’s part of it. If you go out there and probably don’t pitch the way you would like, they’re going to let you know about it.’
The former Red Sox pitcher’s reaction was in regard to questions about Beckett’s current state, which most recently included a 2 1/3-inning, seven-run outing. This comes, of course, after a day of controversy following news the Sox’ starter had golfed on the day after it was announced he was scratched from his May 5 start.
‘I’m not going to get into that. I don’t play for that team,’ Lowe said. ‘I have no idea what’s going on with that situation. But I do golf. Yes, I do golf. I’m playing tomorrow.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa