Josh Beckett: ‘I want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem’
|05.11.12 at 4:40 pm ET|
Prior to the Red Sox’ game with the Indians Friday night, Josh Beckett talked with WEEI.com regarding his health and the controversy surrounding the pitcher over the past few days. Following is a transcript of the conversation.
Did you feel the lat at all last night?
Didn’t feel it at all
Was that — the lat injury — made too much of?
I don’t know. I really don’t. I’m tired of guessing.
Did you want to pitch that Saturday?
I certainly didn’t tell him I wasn’t pitching. I respected whenever he came in and told me I wasn’t pitching because we definitely had some issues we had to deal with.
With the lat?
With my arm, yeah. Like I said, I’m tired of guessing. I’ll let everybody else make the decisions.
Since you wanted to pitch, does it make all this other stuff — regarding the golf outing — frustrating?
I can’t really control it. It is what it is. I really don’t know what to say.
Could you have pitched in that extra-inning game Sunday?
Nobody asked me to. I think it was a precautionary deal. I think when they tell you you’re going to miss a start. ‘¦ If they would have asked me, I could have went out there and pitched. I think we’re trying to make sure the rest of the season right now and not necessarily right now. You miss one start now or you might miss three or four weeks.
People perceive things the way they want to perceive them.
Does that frustrate you?
I can’t let it affect my next start. I didn’t pitch well yesterday. That’s the bottom line. Distracted? Yeah. When you here stuff like that the day before you start it’s mind-boggling. I’m loading a plane in Kansas City when I hear about it.
Not what you’re anticipating heading into a start?
No. I don’t want to be part of a reality show. If I wanted to be part of a reality show I would move to LA. That’s not what I’m here for. I’m here to win baseball games and we’re not doing a good job of that. Am I part of the solution or am I part of the problem? I want to part of the solution, not part of the problem.
It seems like everybody wants to just create problems for us because we have a really good group of guys and we all get along but that’s not how it’s perceived. This team is as tight a group as I’ve ever been a part of. We had some tight groups when I was in Florida and we’ve had some tight groups here. As far as a whole team, in terms of hanging out, chilling, and everybody jokes with one another, this is a good a group as I’ve been around.
Did you talk to Bobby [Valentine] today?
Just briefly. He just asked me how I was feeling. What is he going to do? None of this is his fault. I really don’t know whose fault it is. I guess everybody thinks it’s my fault and I can take the brunt of that. I would rather it happen to me rather than somebody else, one of our guys who plays every day. I can deal with it. I would rather it happen to me rather than a position guy who has to go out there every day.
Still feel good about being a member of the Red Sox?
It sucks because it seems nobody else wants you here except for your teammates. What are you supposed to do? What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to go home and pout and take that home with me. That ain’t happening. That’s not me. Like I said, if I wanted to be part a reality show I would go to LA. I’m not into that.
I really don’t know. I thought I made it pretty clear yesterday that my off-time isn’t anybody’s business. If it keeps me from doing what I need to do, then it becomes the Boston Red Sox business, but it didn’t keep me from that.
Do you understand the reason people wondered about the lat when golfing?
It had nothing to do with that. Everybody thinks we tell the media everything. That’s just not true. I’ll just have to leave it at … I would do nothing to jeopardize my team or myself.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins