Closing Time: Jonathan Papelbon, Cinco Ocho, rest of Phillies top Red Sox
|05.18.12 at 9:57 pm ET|
PHILADELPHIA — Daniel Bard couldn’t keep the starting pitching good times rolling Friday night.
The Sox starter struggled with his command from the get-go in his eighth start of the season, with the end result being a 6-4 win for the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park. Bard (who threw 94 pitches) finished his five-inning stint allowing just three hits, but he still gave up five runs to raise his ERA to 4.85.
It marked the first time since May 10 a Red Sox starter has surrendered more than four runs.
Philadelphia starter Cole Hamels got the win, allowing three runs on six hits while striking out nine over seven innings. Jonathan Papelbon (and his alter ego, Cinco Ocho) came on to pitch a scoreless ninth for his 12th save of the season.
Here is what went wrong (and right) in the Red Sox’ 21st loss of the season:
WHAT WENT WRONG
‘¢ Bard struggled to find the strike zone all night long. By the unofficial count of Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, the Red Sox starter hit the zone with just 36 of his 94 pitches. The Sox starter would finish with five walks, marking the fourth time in eight starts Bard has walked four or more batters.
‘¢ Bard came out of the gate walking three of his first four batters. The first-inning free passes were followed by a Carlos Ruiz single, Ty Wigginton sacrifice fly and John Mayberry double, giving the Phillies a four-run frame.
‘¢ Jarrod Saltalamacchia was forced to leave the game early. Saltalamacchia exited after being hit in the left side of the head with a Bard pitch that deflected off Ruiz’ forearm. The team later identified the injury as a left ear laceration. Saltalamacchia was replaced by Kelly Shoppach, who made his presence felt in the seventh inning by throwing out Shane Victorino trying to steal.
‘¢ After the Red Sox clawed within two runs, Hunter Pence widened the margin with a solo home run in the fifth inning against Bard. It was the outfielder’s 10th homer of the season, and just the second long ball given up by Bard this season.
‘¢ David Ortiz couldn’t make his presence felt, grounding out to first with two outs in the eighth inning while serving as a pinch-hitter for reliever Matt Albers. The slugger represented the game-tying run at the time.
‘¢ Franklin Morales‘ streak of 23 games of scoreless outings on the road was snapped when Freddy Galvis took him over the left-field fence with one out in the eighth inning.
WHAT WENT RIGHT
‘¢ Adrian Gonzalez closed the gap to a run in the eighth by breaking his career-long home run drought, powering his third homer of the season off the facade of the second deck. The home run, which came against Philadelphia reliever Chad Qualls, was Gonzalez’ first home run in 109 at-bats.
‘¢ Mike Aviles continued to stay relatively hot, leading off the game with a double and then launching his sixth homer over the left-field fence for the Red Sox’ first run. The shortstop came into the game with five hits in his last 11 at-bats.
‘¢ Cody Ross brought the Red Sox back within a pair of runs with his eighth home run — and second in as many games — in the sixth inning.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016