Friday’s Red Sox-Phillies matchups: Daniel Bard vs. Cole Hamels
|05.18.12 at 6:53 am ET|
The Red Sox will put Daniel Bard on the mound Friday against the Phillies in the first interleague start of his career. Since converting from a reliever to a starter over the offseason, Bard has been up and down, posting a 3-4 record with a 4.30 ERA. However, the 26-year-old earned the win in his one relief appearance this season and only has two wins as a starter.
Bard struggled with his control in his last start, walking four batters and throwing less than 60 percent of his pitches as strikes. Despite his control issues, he lasted six innings and held the Indians to only one run in the Red Sox’ 12-1 win.
While he has not had much experience against Phillies hitters, Bard has had great success in the few times he has faced them. Ty Wigginton is the only player on the Phillies roster who has a hit against Bard, and he has two. The only other player in on the roster who has reached base against Bard is Hunter Pence, who walked with the bases loaded in their only matchup.
Because this game is an interleague game with the National League team at home, Red Sox pitchers will have to step into the batter’s box. Bard has not made a single plate appearance in his professional career, including his time in the minors.
Bard, along with the rest of the Red Sox lineup, will be battling with Phillies starter Cole Hamels in the matchup.
Hamels has been on fire lately, winning five of his last six decisions while not allowing more than six hits in any of those starts. This season, Hamels has a 2.28 ERA to supplement a 5-1 record.
In his last start, which was delayed one game while he served his five-game suspension for intentionally hitting Nationals rookie Bryce Harper with a pitch, Hamels only allowed five hits and one run through seven innings in the Phillies’ 3-2 win over the Padres.
However, Red Sox hitters have had some success against Hamels in their limited experience against the left-hander. Dustin Pedroia has hit Hamels well in his 12 plate appearances, with five hits including two doubles and a home run. Both Red Sox catchers, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Kelly Shoppach, have homered off Hamels in their combined eight plate appearances against him, and each of them has a slugging percentage of over 1.000 against him.
Red Sox vs. Hamels (LHP)
Cody Ross (37 plate appearances): .257 BA/.297 OBP/.629 SLG, 4 home runs, 6 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Adrian Gonzalez (28): .333/.429/.583, 2 HR, 3 walks, 8 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (12): .417/.417/.833, 1 HR, 2 doubles, 2 strikeouts
Marlon Byrd (8): .250/.250/.250, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (6): .500/.500/1.167, 1 HR, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Andrew Miller (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double
David Ortiz (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Nick Punto (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Rich Hill (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Kelly Shoppach (2) .500/.500/2.000, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Jon Lester (1) .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Phillies vs. Bard (RHP)
Ty Wigginton (8 plate appearances): .333 BA/.286 OBP/.333 SLG, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Juan Pierre (2): .000/ .000/.000
Shane Victorino (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Placido Polanco (1): .000/.000/.000
Jimmy Rollins (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Carlos Ruiz (1): .000/.000/.000
Hunter Pence walked and forced in a run in his only plate appearance against Bard.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins