Wednesday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Daniel Bard vs. Jake Arrieta
|05.23.12 at 7:17 am ET|
Daniel Bard will try to get his fourth win of the season and inch his way closer to a .500 record on Wednesday when he pitches against the Orioles at Camden Yards.
Bard’s last outing against the Phillies last Friday was sub-par as he walked five batters and allowed five earned runs over five innings. His first inning was ugly as he walked three on the way to a four-run inning. Bard didn’t allow a run again until the fifth when Hunter Pence went deep. He was then relieved by Matt Albers in sixth and the Red Sox went on to lose 6-4.
This has been a tough transition year for the 26-year-old, who is in his first full season as a starter. Bard is 3-5 with a 4.85 ERA, and though he has gone at least five innings in every one of his starts, he simply can’t find consistency. In three of his seven starts he’s allowed two or less runs, but in the other four starts he’s allowed a total of 19 runs.
This will be Bard’s first start against Baltimore, although he’s faced the O’s 20 times as a reliever, compiling an 0-2 record and a 3.27 ERA. Only seven current Orioles have batted against Bard, with Nick Markakis being the most familiar with the Red Sox pitcher. Markakis is 3-for-11 against him. Adam Jones is the only Orioles player with a home run vs. Bard.
Baltimore will send Jake Arrieta to the mound. Arrieta is a unimpressive 2-4 with a 4.72 ERA.
In Arrieta’s last start he went a strong seven innings, allowing one run while striking out nine against the Nationals. The Orioles righty did not get the decision, but his team did finish off a 2-1 victory over its interleague rival. This outing was his third of seven innings or more. Back on May 2, Arrieta blanked the Yankees over eight innings in a 5-0 win. He also kept the Twins scoreless over seven innings back on April 6 in a 4-2 win.
Arrieta’s career numbers against Boston are ugly. In three starts vs. the Red Sox, he’s 0-2 with a 5.51 ERA and has allowed five home runs. The current Red Sox lineup is relatively familiar with Arrieta, as nine players have faced him in their careers; however only three have five or more career at bats. Adrian Gonzalez has had the most success out of those three, going 5-for-8 with a home run and two RBIs.
Red Sox vs. Arrieta (RHP)
Adrian Gonzalez (8 plate appearances): .625 BA/.625 OBP/1.125 SLG, 1 double, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Dustin Pedroia (7): .286/.286/.714, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
David Ortiz (5): .500/.600/1.000, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Mike Aviles (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Ryan Sweeney (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 RBI
Daniel Nava (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
Nick Punto (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (2): .500/.500/.500
Kelly Shoppach (2): .000/.000/.000
Orioles vs. Bard (RHP)
Nick Markakis (11 plate appearances): .273 BA/.273 OBP/.273 SLG, 2 strikeouts
Adam Jones (8): .250/.250/.625, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (8): .250/.250/.250
Nick Johnson (4): .000/.500/.000, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Robert Andino (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
J.J. Hardy (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Chris Davis (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016