Wednesday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Daniel Bard vs. Jake Arrieta
|05.23.12 at 7:17 am ET|
Daniel Bard will try to get his fourth win of the season and inch his way closer to a .500 record on Wednesday when he pitches against the Orioles at Camden Yards.
Bard’s last outing against the Phillies last Friday was sub-par as he walked five batters and allowed five earned runs over five innings. His first inning was ugly as he walked three on the way to a four-run inning. Bard didn’t allow a run again until the fifth when Hunter Pence went deep. He was then relieved by Matt Albers in sixth and the Red Sox went on to lose 6-4.
This has been a tough transition year for the 26-year-old, who is in his first full season as a starter. Bard is 3-5 with a 4.85 ERA, and though he has gone at least five innings in every one of his starts, he simply can’t find consistency. In three of his seven starts he’s allowed two or less runs, but in the other four starts he’s allowed a total of 19 runs.
This will be Bard’s first start against Baltimore, although he’s faced the O’s 20 times as a reliever, compiling an 0-2 record and a 3.27 ERA. Only seven current Orioles have batted against Bard, with Nick Markakis being the most familiar with the Red Sox pitcher. Markakis is 3-for-11 against him. Adam Jones is the only Orioles player with a home run vs. Bard.
Baltimore will send Jake Arrieta to the mound. Arrieta is a unimpressive 2-4 with a 4.72 ERA.
In Arrieta’s last start he went a strong seven innings, allowing one run while striking out nine against the Nationals. The Orioles righty did not get the decision, but his team did finish off a 2-1 victory over its interleague rival. This outing was his third of seven innings or more. Back on May 2, Arrieta blanked the Yankees over eight innings in a 5-0 win. He also kept the Twins scoreless over seven innings back on April 6 in a 4-2 win.
Arrieta’s career numbers against Boston are ugly. In three starts vs. the Red Sox, he’s 0-2 with a 5.51 ERA and has allowed five home runs. The current Red Sox lineup is relatively familiar with Arrieta, as nine players have faced him in their careers; however only three have five or more career at bats. Adrian Gonzalez has had the most success out of those three, going 5-for-8 with a home run and two RBIs.
Red Sox vs. Arrieta (RHP)
Adrian Gonzalez (8 plate appearances): .625 BA/.625 OBP/1.125 SLG, 1 double, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Dustin Pedroia (7): .286/.286/.714, 1 home run, 3 RBIs
David Ortiz (5): .500/.600/1.000, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Mike Aviles (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Ryan Sweeney (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 RBI
Daniel Nava (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
Nick Punto (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (2): .500/.500/.500
Kelly Shoppach (2): .000/.000/.000
Orioles vs. Bard (RHP)
Nick Markakis (11 plate appearances): .273 BA/.273 OBP/.273 SLG, 2 strikeouts
Adam Jones (8): .250/.250/.625, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (8): .250/.250/.250
Nick Johnson (4): .000/.500/.000, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Robert Andino (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
J.J. Hardy (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Chris Davis (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday