Jerry Remy on D&C: Alfredo Aceves good enough to keep closer spot on Andrew Bailey’s return
|05.24.12 at 11:03 am ET|
With closer Andrew Bailey working his way back from a thumb injury, Remy said Bobby Valentine should not be so quick to move Aceves from the closer spot if he is still pitching this well when Bailey returns.
‘The Bailey thing is down the road quite a bit,’ Remy said. ‘He is not even close right now. So many things can happen between now and then. But if it was today, I don’t think you would see a move.
‘I don’t think you would see Aceves move out of that spot because he has been so good.’
Aceves had a rocky start as fill-in Red Sox closer, failing to get a single batter out in his first two appearances and blowing a save in the process. However, he has bounced back well from the early season struggles and has converted his last nine save opportunities to give him 11 on the year.
‘He is really smart,’ Remy said. ‘He is a guy that when you are expecting certain pitches, you don’t get them from him.’
One thing that stands out to Remy is Aceves’ ability to succeed in longer save situations. Three of Aceves’ last four saves have been four-out saves.
‘The amazing thing to me is how durable he is,’ Remy said. ‘He can come in and pitch every day. He can get four outs for you. He can get six outs for you if you need it. And then he can come back and pitch the next day.’
Remy also noted that despite rumors that the Red Sox are looking to trade Kevin Youkilis, he doesn’t think that is something they are interested in.
‘I don’t know if there is interest in trading Youkilis right now,’ Remy said. ‘I really don’t. Especially as thin as they are in the outfield. Maybe if they had their full complement of players that would be more of a topic of conversation. I really don’t think it is right now. Of course, I have no clue what is going on in the front office, but it seems to me like they are pretty content with the way things are right now.
‘I don’t think Youk is really tickled pink about going back to first base, but the fact is that is the best lineup right now.’
Following are more highlights from the conversation. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
On Adrian Gonzalez playing right field: ‘Let’s face it, he is a great first baseman. He has looked very comfortable in the outfield. Anything that he can get to he is going to make a play on. The question in Boston is that it’s so big out there, are you going to see the outstanding plays? Probably not. But you are going to see the routine plays made. What you ask really from defensive guys is to make the routine plays.
“I do admire him for accepting that challenge because when you are a Gold Glove first baseman and all of a sudden they tell you, ‘Hey, you’re going to right field,’ some guys would complain about that. He doesn’t care. He says, ‘Fine, I’ll go out there and do the best I can.’ ”
On Daniel Bard’s struggles as a starting pitcher: ‘I’m lost. I still think he is feeling his way through this starting thing. A good example was the game in Philadelphia where he had the leadoff man and he was pitching to him like it was the eighth inning of the game and trying to put him away with a slider.
‘He has got the stuff to be a starting pitcher, but it has been shaky. We have all seen it. What he has been able to do somehow, through all the walks and stuff, is he has been able to keep the team in the game and give them a chance to win like he did [Wednesday].’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles