Jerry Remy on D&C: Alfredo Aceves good enough to keep closer spot on Andrew Bailey’s return
|05.24.12 at 11:03 am ET|
With closer Andrew Bailey working his way back from a thumb injury, Remy said Bobby Valentine should not be so quick to move Aceves from the closer spot if he is still pitching this well when Bailey returns.
‘The Bailey thing is down the road quite a bit,’ Remy said. ‘He is not even close right now. So many things can happen between now and then. But if it was today, I don’t think you would see a move.
‘I don’t think you would see Aceves move out of that spot because he has been so good.’
Aceves had a rocky start as fill-in Red Sox closer, failing to get a single batter out in his first two appearances and blowing a save in the process. However, he has bounced back well from the early season struggles and has converted his last nine save opportunities to give him 11 on the year.
‘He is really smart,’ Remy said. ‘He is a guy that when you are expecting certain pitches, you don’t get them from him.’
One thing that stands out to Remy is Aceves’ ability to succeed in longer save situations. Three of Aceves’ last four saves have been four-out saves.
‘The amazing thing to me is how durable he is,’ Remy said. ‘He can come in and pitch every day. He can get four outs for you. He can get six outs for you if you need it. And then he can come back and pitch the next day.’
Remy also noted that despite rumors that the Red Sox are looking to trade Kevin Youkilis, he doesn’t think that is something they are interested in.
‘I don’t know if there is interest in trading Youkilis right now,’ Remy said. ‘I really don’t. Especially as thin as they are in the outfield. Maybe if they had their full complement of players that would be more of a topic of conversation. I really don’t think it is right now. Of course, I have no clue what is going on in the front office, but it seems to me like they are pretty content with the way things are right now.
‘I don’t think Youk is really tickled pink about going back to first base, but the fact is that is the best lineup right now.’
Following are more highlights from the conversation. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
On Adrian Gonzalez playing right field: ‘Let’s face it, he is a great first baseman. He has looked very comfortable in the outfield. Anything that he can get to he is going to make a play on. The question in Boston is that it’s so big out there, are you going to see the outstanding plays? Probably not. But you are going to see the routine plays made. What you ask really from defensive guys is to make the routine plays.
“I do admire him for accepting that challenge because when you are a Gold Glove first baseman and all of a sudden they tell you, ‘Hey, you’re going to right field,’ some guys would complain about that. He doesn’t care. He says, ‘Fine, I’ll go out there and do the best I can.’ ”
On Daniel Bard’s struggles as a starting pitcher: ‘I’m lost. I still think he is feeling his way through this starting thing. A good example was the game in Philadelphia where he had the leadoff man and he was pitching to him like it was the eighth inning of the game and trying to put him away with a slider.
‘He has got the stuff to be a starting pitcher, but it has been shaky. We have all seen it. What he has been able to do somehow, through all the walks and stuff, is he has been able to keep the team in the game and give them a chance to win like he did [Wednesday].’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins