Josh Beckett offered another not-so-subtle reminder
|05.27.12 at 7:57 am ET|
Josh Beckett was surprised by the question ‘¦
‘Are you pleased that you’ve pitched so well in your last three starts?’
‘How many bad starts did I have in a row? One. How many bad ones in a row did I have? One,’ Beckett responded after the Red Sox‘ 3-2 win over the Rays Saturday night. ‘You can’t have one bad start in a row? [Expletive] tough crowd, huh? I feel good. I lived down in the zone today and it worked out.’
He had a point.
After turning a seven-inning outing against Tampa Bay in which he allowed two runs, Beckett’s ERA over his last three starts has been 1.25, having struck out 19 and walked four.
In nine starts this season, Beckett has had two in which he has allowed more than three runs.
In fact, since the beginning of the 2011 season, among American League East starters, only Tampa Bay’s Jeremy Hellickson (34) and Toronto’s Ricky Romero (32) have managed to pitch in more games while giving up three or fewer runs.
Of Beckett’s 39 starts over the past two seasons, take away the last two in Baltimore in ‘11 and his two worst this season and the righty’s ERA stands at 2.43.
Also of note is Beckett’s success against the Rays since the beginning of ‘11, having totaled a 1.18 ERA in five starts, striking out 25 and walking two.
‘He started off throwing that curveball to strike out [Carlos] Pena to start the game. That was in the back of their minds most of the game,’ said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine of his pitcher’s latest outing. ‘He threw some other good curveballs during the game. He got another strikeout with it later. His ball was moving in and out. It had really good location. Very good competitiveness. He was willing a lot of those outs. He looks great out on the mound right now.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins