Sunday’s Red Sox-Rays matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Jeremy Hellickson
|05.27.12 at 6:54 am ET|
Clay Buchholz has Boston’s highest ERA at 7.84 and hasn’t won a start since May 11 against the Indians. In his last start, Buchholz (4-2) pitched 5 1/3 innings and gave up five runs in an 8-6 victory over Baltimore, but he didn’t factor into the decision.
The 27-year-old will take the mound against Tampa Bay on Sunday afternoon and try to gather his second win against the Rays this season.
He last faced the Rays and Tampa Bay starting pitcher Jeremy Hellickson on May 16. The Texas native lasted five innings and gave up two earned runs. The Red Sox went on to lose 2-1.
Tampa Bay’s Luke Scott has faced the right-handed Buchholz the most, batting .217 in 27 plate appearances. B.J. Upton, who has faced Buchholz 17 times, is batting .357 off Buchholz. Overall, the righty is 5-3 against Tampa Bay with a 2.48 ERA.
Hellickson (4-1, 2.73) will return to the mound to face the Red Sox after losing for the first time this season on May 21. He lasted 7 1/3 innings and gave up five runs, two earned, and one home run in Tampa Bay’s 6-2 loss to Toronto. His last victory came against Boston on May 16, when Hellickson threw six innings of one-run baseball.
Hellickson did not earn a decision in his first start against the Red Sox this season, allowing five runs in five innings when he pitched at Fenway on April 14.
In his career against Boston, Hellickson holds a 3-1 record and a 4.42 ERA. Adrian Gonzalez and David Ortiz have faced Hellickson more than any other current Red Sox. Gonzalez has recorded a batting average of .143 and three RBIs against Hellickson, while Ortiz has a .400 batting average and two RBIs.
Rays vs. Buchholz
Luke Scott (27 plate appearances): .217 BA/.333 OBP/.565, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 5 RBIs, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Carlos Pena (24): .227/.292/.409, 1 double, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
Ben Zobrist (24): .150/.292/.150, 1 RBI, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
B.J. Upton (17): .357/.471/.643, 1 double, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Matt Joyce (13): .300/.385/.300, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Jose Molina (12): .400/.417/.500, 1 double, 2 RBIs. 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Sean Rodriguez (7): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Will Rhymes (7): .250/.500/.250, 2 walks
Elliot Johnson (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
Chris Gimenez walked in his only plate appearance vs. Buchholz.
Red Sox vs. Hellickson
Adrian Gonzalez (18 plate appearances): .143 BA/.333 OBP/.500 SLG, 1 triple, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 4 walks, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (18): .400/.500/.733, 1 triple, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 3 walks
Dustin Pedroia (18): .250/.333/.563, 1 triple, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (13): .364/.462/.818, 2 doubles, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Kevin Youkilis (12): .200/.333/.500, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Mike Aviles (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double
Will Middlebrooks (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (2): .500/.500/.500 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies