Sunday’s Red Sox-Rays matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Jeremy Hellickson
|05.27.12 at 6:54 am ET|
Clay Buchholz has Boston’s highest ERA at 7.84 and hasn’t won a start since May 11 against the Indians. In his last start, Buchholz (4-2) pitched 5 1/3 innings and gave up five runs in an 8-6 victory over Baltimore, but he didn’t factor into the decision.
The 27-year-old will take the mound against Tampa Bay on Sunday afternoon and try to gather his second win against the Rays this season.
He last faced the Rays and Tampa Bay starting pitcher Jeremy Hellickson on May 16. The Texas native lasted five innings and gave up two earned runs. The Red Sox went on to lose 2-1.
Tampa Bay’s Luke Scott has faced the right-handed Buchholz the most, batting .217 in 27 plate appearances. B.J. Upton, who has faced Buchholz 17 times, is batting .357 off Buchholz. Overall, the righty is 5-3 against Tampa Bay with a 2.48 ERA.
Hellickson (4-1, 2.73) will return to the mound to face the Red Sox after losing for the first time this season on May 21. He lasted 7 1/3 innings and gave up five runs, two earned, and one home run in Tampa Bay’s 6-2 loss to Toronto. His last victory came against Boston on May 16, when Hellickson threw six innings of one-run baseball.
Hellickson did not earn a decision in his first start against the Red Sox this season, allowing five runs in five innings when he pitched at Fenway on April 14.
In his career against Boston, Hellickson holds a 3-1 record and a 4.42 ERA. Adrian Gonzalez and David Ortiz have faced Hellickson more than any other current Red Sox. Gonzalez has recorded a batting average of .143 and three RBIs against Hellickson, while Ortiz has a .400 batting average and two RBIs.
Rays vs. Buchholz
Luke Scott (27 plate appearances): .217 BA/.333 OBP/.565, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 5 RBIs, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Carlos Pena (24): .227/.292/.409, 1 double, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
Ben Zobrist (24): .150/.292/.150, 1 RBI, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
B.J. Upton (17): .357/.471/.643, 1 double, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Matt Joyce (13): .300/.385/.300, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Jose Molina (12): .400/.417/.500, 1 double, 2 RBIs. 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Sean Rodriguez (7): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Will Rhymes (7): .250/.500/.250, 2 walks
Elliot Johnson (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
Chris Gimenez walked in his only plate appearance vs. Buchholz.
Red Sox vs. Hellickson
Adrian Gonzalez (18 plate appearances): .143 BA/.333 OBP/.500 SLG, 1 triple, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 4 walks, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (18): .400/.500/.733, 1 triple, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 3 walks
Dustin Pedroia (18): .250/.333/.563, 1 triple, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (13): .364/.462/.818, 2 doubles, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Kevin Youkilis (12): .200/.333/.500, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Mike Aviles (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double
Will Middlebrooks (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (2): .500/.500/.500 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks