Everything you need to know for the Red Sox’ 2012 draft
|06.04.12 at 4:59 pm ET|
Here’s a look at the coverage of Monday night’s draft on WEEI.com:
The new Collective Bargaining Agreement made numerous changes to the Major League Baseball amateur draft, with lots of implications for how the Red Sox will tackle the acquisition of top amateur talent. Trying to make sense of the Brave New World? Here’s a primer from Alex Speier.
One of the foremost draft experts, Jim Callis of Baseball America, joined the Minor Details podcast to discuss the changes to the draft and shed some light on some of the players whom the Red Sox might target with their top picks. Listen to the podcast by clicking here.
Want to know whose been available in past drafts in the spots where the Red Sox are making their selections? A complete history of the spots where the Sox will make their first five draft picks is here.
Don’t bother asking what positional need the Red Sox want to address with their top pick. The team believes in taking the best player available, regardless of position or competition level. For more on that, click here.
A ninth-round pick who is having a tremendous season for the Red Sox underscores the idea that it’s more than just the early-round picks who matter.
It’s a bit of a crapshoot to try to predict who the Red Sox might take with their early picks, let alone their later ones. However, Kevin Dillon profiles some of the players who have been connected to the Red Sox as potential draft targets, including: polished Duke right-hander Marcus Stroman (click here), high school third baseman Tanner Rahier (click here), hard-throwing high school right-hander Zach Elfin (click here) and 6-foot-8 high school left-hander Matt Smoral (click here).
More to come as the day unfolds…
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles