|Everything you need to know for the Red Sox’ 2012 draft||06.04.12 at 4:59 pm ET|
Here’s a look at the coverage of Monday night’s draft on WEEI.com:
The new Collective Bargaining Agreement made numerous changes to the Major League Baseball amateur draft, with lots of implications for how the Red Sox will tackle the acquisition of top amateur talent. Trying to make sense of the Brave New World? Here’s a primer from Alex Speier.
One of the foremost draft experts, Jim Callis of Baseball America, joined the Minor Details podcast to discuss the changes to the draft and shed some light on some of the players whom the Red Sox might target with their top picks. Listen to the podcast by clicking here.
Want to know whose been available in past drafts in the spots where the Red Sox are making their selections? A complete history of the spots where the Sox will make their first five draft picks is here.
Don’t bother asking what positional need the Red Sox want to address with their top pick. The team believes in taking the best player available, regardless of position or competition level. For more on that, click here.
A ninth-round pick who is having a tremendous season for the Red Sox underscores the idea that it’s more than just the early-round picks who matter.
It’s a bit of a crapshoot to try to predict who the Red Sox might take with their early picks, let alone their later ones. However, Kevin Dillon profiles some of the players who have been connected to the Red Sox as potential draft targets, including: polished Duke right-hander Marcus Stroman (click here), high school third baseman Tanner Rahier (click here), hard-throwing high school right-hander Zach Elfin (click here) and 6-foot-8 high school left-hander Matt Smoral (click here).
More to come as the day unfolds…
- Red Sox sign 1st-round pick Trey Ball (UPDATED)
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw, Haeger help Sea Dogs earn split
- Players of the Week, June 10-16: Keury De La Cruz and Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox reportedly sign 12th-rounder Jake Drehoff
- Wendelken added to South Atlantic League All-Stars
- Red Sox reportedly sign Bryan Hudson, Jantzen Witte
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners open season with 15-strikeout gem
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!