Potential Red Sox draft picks: Tanner Rahier
|06.04.12 at 9:47 am ET|
While ESPNHS ranks Tanner Rahier as the No. 21 high school prospect in their ESPN 100 rankings, Rahier has not played for his Palm Desert High School team since his freshman year in 2009. Instead, the 6-foot-2, 205 pound shortstop has played in a wood bat spring league for the ABD Bulldogs, where he has built up his stock into being projected as a first round pick in the 2012 MLB draft.
Rahier batted .394/.464/.639 last season for the Bulldogs, hitting 18 doubles, four triples and four home runs in 155 at-bats. Along with his strength at the plate, Rahier showed decent speed as he stole 27 bases on the year. The Indian Wells, Calif., native has already committed to the University of San Diego next year, but don’t be surprised if he signs with whichever team picks him if it is in the first two rounds of the draft.
Rahier is a line drive hitter who hits on a level swing plane. While Rahier will likely be more of a gap hitter than a home run hitter, his good bat speed gives him decent pull power, which has led some reports to project him as a player capable of around 20 home runs per year. In the field, Rahier is known for his strong arm strength, which could help him transition to third base. As a pitcher, Rahier can throw a fastball up to 93 mph, but his primary focus as a player will likely be in the field and in the batter’s box. According to Perfect Game, Rahier has drawn comparisons to Evan Longoria due to his physical features as well as tools as a player. Rahier is likely to move over to Longoria’s position at third base due to his size, and he could represent a consideration for the Red Sox with one of their first-round picks (Nos. 24 and 31).
Baseball America describes Rahier as a player who approaches the game with tremendous intensity. The publication cited a scout who said of Rahier, “He plays like a bat out of hell — he’s like Pete Rose.”
For a profile of Rahier, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot