Potential Red Sox draft picks: Tanner Rahier
|06.04.12 at 9:47 am ET|
While ESPNHS ranks Tanner Rahier as the No. 21 high school prospect in their ESPN 100 rankings, Rahier has not played for his Palm Desert High School team since his freshman year in 2009. Instead, the 6-foot-2, 205 pound shortstop has played in a wood bat spring league for the ABD Bulldogs, where he has built up his stock into being projected as a first round pick in the 2012 MLB draft.
Rahier batted .394/.464/.639 last season for the Bulldogs, hitting 18 doubles, four triples and four home runs in 155 at-bats. Along with his strength at the plate, Rahier showed decent speed as he stole 27 bases on the year. The Indian Wells, Calif., native has already committed to the University of San Diego next year, but don’t be surprised if he signs with whichever team picks him if it is in the first two rounds of the draft.
Rahier is a line drive hitter who hits on a level swing plane. While Rahier will likely be more of a gap hitter than a home run hitter, his good bat speed gives him decent pull power, which has led some reports to project him as a player capable of around 20 home runs per year. In the field, Rahier is known for his strong arm strength, which could help him transition to third base. As a pitcher, Rahier can throw a fastball up to 93 mph, but his primary focus as a player will likely be in the field and in the batter’s box. According to Perfect Game, Rahier has drawn comparisons to Evan Longoria due to his physical features as well as tools as a player. Rahier is likely to move over to Longoria’s position at third base due to his size, and he could represent a consideration for the Red Sox with one of their first-round picks (Nos. 24 and 31).
Baseball America describes Rahier as a player who approaches the game with tremendous intensity. The publication cited a scout who said of Rahier, “He plays like a bat out of hell — he’s like Pete Rose.”
For a profile of Rahier, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot