Red Sox select Fresno State right-handed pitcher Justin Haley with sixth-round pick
|06.05.12 at 4:48 pm ET|
The Red Sox took yet another pitcher in the sixth round, drafting 6-foot-5, 230 pound right-handed pitcher Justin Haley out of Fresno State at pick No. 211 overall.
Haley went 7-4 during his junior year with Fresno State, recording a 3.18 ERA with a team-leading 94 strikeouts. The 20-year-old right-hander had been drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 46th round of the 2010 MLB draft by the Indians out of Sierra College, but has improved his draft stock since transferring to Fresno State. The Sacramento, Calif., native caught the attention of many scouts after pitching a perfect 3 1/3 innings of relief against then-No. 1 Stanford earlier this season. He features a 91-94 mph fastball, along with a changeup and a decent breaking ball.
Haley is the seventh consecutive pitcher taken by the Red Sox, and the sixth player taken out of college in the 2012 MLB draft. CBS 47 in Fresno (as relayed by Fresnobee.com) is reporting that Haley has an agreement with the Sox for the slot-recommended bonus of $163,500 for the No. 211 pick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome