Red Sox select Fresno State right-handed pitcher Justin Haley with sixth-round pick
|06.05.12 at 4:48 pm ET|
The Red Sox took yet another pitcher in the sixth round, drafting 6-foot-5, 230 pound right-handed pitcher Justin Haley out of Fresno State at pick No. 211 overall.
Haley went 7-4 during his junior year with Fresno State, recording a 3.18 ERA with a team-leading 94 strikeouts. The 20-year-old right-hander had been drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 46th round of the 2010 MLB draft by the Indians out of Sierra College, but has improved his draft stock since transferring to Fresno State. The Sacramento, Calif., native caught the attention of many scouts after pitching a perfect 3 1/3 innings of relief against then-No. 1 Stanford earlier this season. He features a 91-94 mph fastball, along with a changeup and a decent breaking ball.
Haley is the seventh consecutive pitcher taken by the Red Sox, and the sixth player taken out of college in the 2012 MLB draft. CBS 47 in Fresno (as relayed by Fresnobee.com) is reporting that Haley has an agreement with the Sox for the slot-recommended bonus of $163,500 for the No. 211 pick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers