Red Sox select Fresno State right-handed pitcher Justin Haley with sixth-round pick
|06.05.12 at 4:48 pm ET|
The Red Sox took yet another pitcher in the sixth round, drafting 6-foot-5, 230 pound right-handed pitcher Justin Haley out of Fresno State at pick No. 211 overall.
Haley went 7-4 during his junior year with Fresno State, recording a 3.18 ERA with a team-leading 94 strikeouts. The 20-year-old right-hander had been drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 46th round of the 2010 MLB draft by the Indians out of Sierra College, but has improved his draft stock since transferring to Fresno State. The Sacramento, Calif., native caught the attention of many scouts after pitching a perfect 3 1/3 innings of relief against then-No. 1 Stanford earlier this season. He features a 91-94 mph fastball, along with a changeup and a decent breaking ball.
Haley is the seventh consecutive pitcher taken by the Red Sox, and the sixth player taken out of college in the 2012 MLB draft. CBS 47 in Fresno (as relayed by Fresnobee.com) is reporting that Haley has an agreement with the Sox for the slot-recommended bonus of $163,500 for the No. 211 pick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Moncada homers before promotion
- Moncada, Beeks, Taylor promoted to Portland