Red Sox select Fresno State right-handed pitcher Justin Haley with sixth-round pick
|06.05.12 at 4:48 pm ET|
The Red Sox took yet another pitcher in the sixth round, drafting 6-foot-5, 230 pound right-handed pitcher Justin Haley out of Fresno State at pick No. 211 overall.
Haley went 7-4 during his junior year with Fresno State, recording a 3.18 ERA with a team-leading 94 strikeouts. The 20-year-old right-hander had been drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 46th round of the 2010 MLB draft by the Indians out of Sierra College, but has improved his draft stock since transferring to Fresno State. The Sacramento, Calif., native caught the attention of many scouts after pitching a perfect 3 1/3 innings of relief against then-No. 1 Stanford earlier this season. He features a 91-94 mph fastball, along with a changeup and a decent breaking ball.
Haley is the seventh consecutive pitcher taken by the Red Sox, and the sixth player taken out of college in the 2012 MLB draft. CBS 47 in Fresno (as relayed by Fresnobee.com) is reporting that Haley has an agreement with the Sox for the slot-recommended bonus of $163,500 for the No. 211 pick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive