Franklin Morales showing his stamina, could be used for starting pitching depth
|06.09.12 at 8:22 pm ET|
In Franklin Morales‘ first 20 appearances of this season, he only pitched for longer than an inning twice. However, in his last two appearances, Morales has submitted the longest two relief appearances of his career, pitching 7 1/3 combined innings including a three-inning outing on Saturday against the Nationals.
Throughout those 7 1/3 innings, Morales has only allowed two hits, striking out seven and not walking a single hitter.
“Have to make as many plans as you can and the way our bullpen is set up, I think that he has some length in him ‘’ I thought he did, now I have a better feeling that he has some length in him. It’s good to have,” said Valentine. “If we need a spot starter along the way, something comes up, I’ve mentioned before our bullpen is not really built for a spot starting type of situation.”
Starting is nothing new for Morales, who entered the big leagues as a 21-year-old starter for the Rockies in 2007. In his 15 career starts, Morales is 5-4 with a 4.46 ERA and 44 strikeouts. However, he was moved to the bullpen permanently when he returned to the roster after straining his shoulder in his second start of 2009.
After his three-inning relief performance on Saturday though, Morales is said his arm feels fine.
‘I feel pretty good. My arm is healthy, I feel strong and I feel good,’ Morales said.
Morales has a 3.48 ERA this season coming out of the bullpen. Given the team’s relative lack of starting pitching depth, his versatility could prove a significant asset going forward.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller