Reunion day for Red Sox with Theo Epstein
|06.15.12 at 1:47 pm ET|
CHICAGO — “No more questions about Theo!” Dustin Pedroia exclaimed to no one and everyone in the narrow visitor’s clubhouse at Wrigley Field. “Development?! I’ve been hitting since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. I’m still that tall, so…”
It’s been almost eight months since former Red Sox GM Theo Epstein left the team for whom he’d been rooting, with whom he’d won two World Series, to become the president of baseball operations for the Cubs. Today, his (recent) past and present have come together, with Epstein having the chance to catch up with a number of players and coaches whom he brought into the Red Sox organization during his time in Boston, whether exchanging friendly barbs with Pedroia, hugs with David Ortiz or pleasantries with coaches like hitting coach Dave Magadan and first base coach Alex Ochoa.
“Obviously, being there for 10 years, you make connections that will never go away. I care about a lot of the people there,” said Epstein. “I don’t feel like it’s my team, personally, but I root for a lot of people there.”
For more on Epstein, and his reflections on his former role with the Red Sox at a time when he is trying to build a Cubs team that owns the worst record in baseball into a contender, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez continues to swing hot bat
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello