Tuesday’s Red Sox-Marlins matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Mark Buehrle
|06.19.12 at 6:32 pm ET|
The 27-year-old outdueled Buehrle last Tuesday, going seven innings and allowing one run on five hits while striking out nine in a 2-1 Red Sox win. The outing was Buchholz’s fourth straight of seven or more innings and two or less runs allowed.
The Red Sox righty might be 7-2 on the season, but his ERA still sits at an poor 5.38. However, Buchholz has showed signs of turning his season around, bringing his 7.84 ERA on May 21 all the way down to its current number of 5.38. Included in this recent turnaround was a stellar complete-game shutout against the Orioles on June 7.
That start last Tuesday was the first of Buchholz’s career against the Marlins, giving him a 1-0 record with a 1.29 ERA against Miami. Before Tuesday the righty had only faced two current Marlins batters, now he has faced nine. Jose Reyes had the best day against Buchholz last week, going 2-for-3 with at triple. John Buck has the most at-bats vs. him, but he’s 0-for-7 in his career.
Buehrle will try to rebound after the loss last week against Buchholz. Despite seeing his record go to 5-7, Buehrle pitched well, throwing seven innings of two-run ball while allowing five hits. It was the lefty’s second straight quality start.
The 33-year-old has had a solid but unfortunate season with a 3.41 ERA that has only equated to a 5-7 record. Buehrle has lost his last three straight starts, after going undefeated in five starts from May 5 to May 26. The Marlins lefty has had quality starts in nine of his 13 outings but has a low average run support of two runs in his seven losses.
Buehrle is 6-7 with a 4.37 ERA in 17 starts against Boston after last Tuesday’s loss. David Ortiz and Nick Punto have the most at-bats against the former White Sox hurler, but neither faced him in that game. Ortiz is 20-for-58 and Punto is 14-f0r-50 against him respectively in their careers.
Marlins vs. Buchholz (RHP)
John Buck (9 plate appearances): .000 BA/.222 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Austin Kearns (6): .200/.333/.400, 1 doubles, 1 RBI
Omar Infante (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Logan Morrison (3): .333/.333/1.333, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Hanley Ramirez (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Jose Reyes (3): .667/.667/1.333, 1 triple
Gaby Sanchez (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Giancarlo Stanton (3): .000/.000/.000. 3 strikeouts
Mark Buehrle (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Red Sox vs. Buehrle (LHP)
David Ortiz (62 plate appearances): .345 BA/.387 OBP/.586 SLG, 8 doubles, 2 home runs, 11 RBIs, 4 walks, 7 strikeouts
Nick Punto (53): .280/.283/.360, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 9 RBIs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Mike Aviles (37): .265/.324/.324, 2 doubles, 4 RBIs, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (20): .316/.350/.421, 2 doubles, 1 walk, strikeout
Kevin Youkilis (20): .176/.250/.176, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Kelly Shoppach (17): .438/.438/1.125, 2 doubles, 3 home runs, 8 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Darnell McDonald (16): .538/.600/.538, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Scott Podsednik (14): .286/.286/.357, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Adrian Gonzalez (6): .200/.333/.400, 1 double, 1 walk
Ryan Kalish (6): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Clay Buchholz (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Will Middlebrooks (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .000/.000/.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017