David Ortiz goes off on media: ‘Just tired of dealing with the drama here’
|06.21.12 at 5:28 pm ET|
In the middle of one of the best seasons he’s had since his record-setting 54-homer season, Ortiz was asked if he were having fun.
“Not really,” said Ortiz, who is leading the team with 18 homers and 49 RBIs while batting .313 heading into Thursday’s game. “Too much [expletive], man. People need to leave us alone and let us play baseball.”
Ortiz began to expand when asked about the lack of a multi-year contract.
‘I motivate myself just to win,” Ortiz said. “Like I say, this is a great place to win and I’ll try to keep it that way.
‘I don’t know, man, I’m just tired of dealing with the drama here. This is baseball, man. It seems like everything that goes on around here is like one of those congress decisions that will affect the whole nation. It ain’t like that, man, this is baseball. We’re supposed to have fun, to have our performance out there at the highest level. every day is something new, some drama, some more [expletive]. I’m tired of that, man. I’m here to play baseball, man.’
Ortiz was asked if he still want to be in Boston after 2012.
‘I don’t know,” Ortiz said. “I’ll think about it.’
The other hot-button topic was the Buster Olney column from earlier in the week that labeled the Red Sox clubhouse as “toxic.”
‘Horrible,” Ortiz said. “We had a team right here, a group of guys, they just come in and out, put us all together and try to win a ballgame. I don’t know where those comments are coming from or where they are going to, or where they start at. I haven’t found out yet. In my case, I’m here to provide wins and my teammates are on the same page.
‘That’s how you win ballgames,” he continued. “Everybody together.’
‘This ain’t all about me,” Ortiz said. “I’m not the only player here. We have 25 guys who care just as much as I care about playing ball here and providing winning ballgames. It seems like every day there’s something new about players. People need to just leave us alone and let us play ball.
“It’s starting to become the [expletive]hole it used to be,” Ortiz said. “Playing here used to be so much fun.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster