David Ortiz goes off on media: ‘Just tired of dealing with the drama here’
|06.21.12 at 5:28 pm ET|
In the middle of one of the best seasons he’s had since his record-setting 54-homer season, Ortiz was asked if he were having fun.
“Not really,” said Ortiz, who is leading the team with 18 homers and 49 RBIs while batting .313 heading into Thursday’s game. “Too much [expletive], man. People need to leave us alone and let us play baseball.”
Ortiz began to expand when asked about the lack of a multi-year contract.
‘I motivate myself just to win,” Ortiz said. “Like I say, this is a great place to win and I’ll try to keep it that way.
‘I don’t know, man, I’m just tired of dealing with the drama here. This is baseball, man. It seems like everything that goes on around here is like one of those congress decisions that will affect the whole nation. It ain’t like that, man, this is baseball. We’re supposed to have fun, to have our performance out there at the highest level. every day is something new, some drama, some more [expletive]. I’m tired of that, man. I’m here to play baseball, man.’
Ortiz was asked if he still want to be in Boston after 2012.
‘I don’t know,” Ortiz said. “I’ll think about it.’
The other hot-button topic was the Buster Olney column from earlier in the week that labeled the Red Sox clubhouse as “toxic.”
‘Horrible,” Ortiz said. “We had a team right here, a group of guys, they just come in and out, put us all together and try to win a ballgame. I don’t know where those comments are coming from or where they are going to, or where they start at. I haven’t found out yet. In my case, I’m here to provide wins and my teammates are on the same page.
‘That’s how you win ballgames,” he continued. “Everybody together.’
‘This ain’t all about me,” Ortiz said. “I’m not the only player here. We have 25 guys who care just as much as I care about playing ball here and providing winning ballgames. It seems like every day there’s something new about players. People need to just leave us alone and let us play ball.
“It’s starting to become the [expletive]hole it used to be,” Ortiz said. “Playing here used to be so much fun.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers