David Ortiz goes off on media: ‘Just tired of dealing with the drama here’
|06.21.12 at 5:28 pm ET|
In the middle of one of the best seasons he’s had since his record-setting 54-homer season, Ortiz was asked if he were having fun.
“Not really,” said Ortiz, who is leading the team with 18 homers and 49 RBIs while batting .313 heading into Thursday’s game. “Too much [expletive], man. People need to leave us alone and let us play baseball.”
Ortiz began to expand when asked about the lack of a multi-year contract.
‘I motivate myself just to win,” Ortiz said. “Like I say, this is a great place to win and I’ll try to keep it that way.
‘I don’t know, man, I’m just tired of dealing with the drama here. This is baseball, man. It seems like everything that goes on around here is like one of those congress decisions that will affect the whole nation. It ain’t like that, man, this is baseball. We’re supposed to have fun, to have our performance out there at the highest level. every day is something new, some drama, some more [expletive]. I’m tired of that, man. I’m here to play baseball, man.’
Ortiz was asked if he still want to be in Boston after 2012.
‘I don’t know,” Ortiz said. “I’ll think about it.’
The other hot-button topic was the Buster Olney column from earlier in the week that labeled the Red Sox clubhouse as “toxic.”
‘Horrible,” Ortiz said. “We had a team right here, a group of guys, they just come in and out, put us all together and try to win a ballgame. I don’t know where those comments are coming from or where they are going to, or where they start at. I haven’t found out yet. In my case, I’m here to provide wins and my teammates are on the same page.
‘That’s how you win ballgames,” he continued. “Everybody together.’
‘This ain’t all about me,” Ortiz said. “I’m not the only player here. We have 25 guys who care just as much as I care about playing ball here and providing winning ballgames. It seems like every day there’s something new about players. People need to just leave us alone and let us play ball.
“It’s starting to become the [expletive]hole it used to be,” Ortiz said. “Playing here used to be so much fun.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins