Nuggetpalooza: Red Sox hit for ‘home run cycle’
|06.22.12 at 11:41 am ET|
On Wednesday night against the Marlins, the Red Sox hit for “home run cycle.” That is, they hit a solo homer as well as homers with one runner on, two runners on and the bases loaded. Here are a few notes on their longball feat.
* – It was the second such “cycle” of the season in major league baseball. The other came on May 30 when the Rockies did it against the Astros.
* – It was the eighth time since the start of the 2008 season that it’s happened. The others:
Rockies – July 4, 2008 vs. the Marlins
Orioles – July 28, 2008 vs. the Yankees
Yankees – August 17, 2008 vs. the Royals
Orioles – September 8, 2008 vs. the Indians
White Sox – July 11, 2010 vs. the Royals
Yankees – April 23, 2011 vs. the Orioles
Rockies – May 30, 2012 vs. the Astros
* – Since 1950, it was the Red Sox’ eighth home run cycle and their first since 2002:
May 25, 1950 at St. Louis Browns (Zarilla, Vollmer, Stephens, Dropo)
May 27, 1955 vs Washington (Hatton, Zauchin 3)
July 2, 1972 vs Milwaukee (Fisk, Petrocelli, Smith 2)
May 22, 1977 vs Milwaukee (Yastrzemski, Evans, Hobson, Scott, Lynn 2)
August 3, 1977 at Seattle (Scott, Hobson, Carbo, Rice 2)
September 1, 1990 vs New York Yankees (Brunansky, Greenwell, Burks 2)
July 23, 2002 vs Tampa Bay (Nixon, Damon, Ramirez 2, Garciaparra 3)
Note this: Six of the Red Sox’ eight home run cycles since 1950 have come at Fenway Park.
Note this too: Only two players have homered in two different “cycle” games as a member of the Red Sox: Butch Hobson and George Scott.
(Thanks to baseball-reference.com for its statistical resources)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe