Nuggetpalooza: Red Sox hit for ‘home run cycle’
|06.22.12 at 11:41 am ET|
On Wednesday night against the Marlins, the Red Sox hit for “home run cycle.” That is, they hit a solo homer as well as homers with one runner on, two runners on and the bases loaded. Here are a few notes on their longball feat.
* – It was the second such “cycle” of the season in major league baseball. The other came on May 30 when the Rockies did it against the Astros.
* – It was the eighth time since the start of the 2008 season that it’s happened. The others:
Rockies – July 4, 2008 vs. the Marlins
Orioles – July 28, 2008 vs. the Yankees
Yankees – August 17, 2008 vs. the Royals
Orioles – September 8, 2008 vs. the Indians
White Sox – July 11, 2010 vs. the Royals
Yankees – April 23, 2011 vs. the Orioles
Rockies – May 30, 2012 vs. the Astros
* – Since 1950, it was the Red Sox’ eighth home run cycle and their first since 2002:
May 25, 1950 at St. Louis Browns (Zarilla, Vollmer, Stephens, Dropo)
May 27, 1955 vs Washington (Hatton, Zauchin 3)
July 2, 1972 vs Milwaukee (Fisk, Petrocelli, Smith 2)
May 22, 1977 vs Milwaukee (Yastrzemski, Evans, Hobson, Scott, Lynn 2)
August 3, 1977 at Seattle (Scott, Hobson, Carbo, Rice 2)
September 1, 1990 vs New York Yankees (Brunansky, Greenwell, Burks 2)
July 23, 2002 vs Tampa Bay (Nixon, Damon, Ramirez 2, Garciaparra 3)
Note this: Six of the Red Sox’ eight home run cycles since 1950 have come at Fenway Park.
Note this too: Only two players have homered in two different “cycle” games as a member of the Red Sox: Butch Hobson and George Scott.
(Thanks to baseball-reference.com for its statistical resources)
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox 40-man roster additions expected