Nuggetpalooza: Red Sox hit for ‘home run cycle’
|06.22.12 at 11:41 am ET|
On Wednesday night against the Marlins, the Red Sox hit for “home run cycle.” That is, they hit a solo homer as well as homers with one runner on, two runners on and the bases loaded. Here are a few notes on their longball feat.
* – It was the second such “cycle” of the season in major league baseball. The other came on May 30 when the Rockies did it against the Astros.
* – It was the eighth time since the start of the 2008 season that it’s happened. The others:
Rockies – July 4, 2008 vs. the Marlins
Orioles – July 28, 2008 vs. the Yankees
Yankees – August 17, 2008 vs. the Royals
Orioles – September 8, 2008 vs. the Indians
White Sox – July 11, 2010 vs. the Royals
Yankees – April 23, 2011 vs. the Orioles
Rockies – May 30, 2012 vs. the Astros
* – Since 1950, it was the Red Sox’ eighth home run cycle and their first since 2002:
May 25, 1950 at St. Louis Browns (Zarilla, Vollmer, Stephens, Dropo)
May 27, 1955 vs Washington (Hatton, Zauchin 3)
July 2, 1972 vs Milwaukee (Fisk, Petrocelli, Smith 2)
May 22, 1977 vs Milwaukee (Yastrzemski, Evans, Hobson, Scott, Lynn 2)
August 3, 1977 at Seattle (Scott, Hobson, Carbo, Rice 2)
September 1, 1990 vs New York Yankees (Brunansky, Greenwell, Burks 2)
July 23, 2002 vs Tampa Bay (Nixon, Damon, Ramirez 2, Garciaparra 3)
Note this: Six of the Red Sox’ eight home run cycles since 1950 have come at Fenway Park.
Note this too: Only two players have homered in two different “cycle” games as a member of the Red Sox: Butch Hobson and George Scott.
(Thanks to baseball-reference.com for its statistical resources)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster