Saturday’s Red Sox-Braves matchups: Franklin Morales vs. Randall Delgado
|06.23.12 at 9:54 am ET|
Morales (0-1, 3.14) pitched his first game as a Red Sox starter on June 17 against the Cubs in place of injured Josh Beckett. Morales threw five innings of two-run baseball in the 7-4 Boston victory but did not factor in the decision.
The 26-year-old has appeared in 23 games this season, 22 as a reliever. He recorded a loss on May 4 when he pitched two-thirds of an inning and gave up two earned runs en route to a 6-4 loss to the Orioles.
He last faced the Braves on April 18, 2010, as a reliever. He appeared in the game for two-thirds of an inning and allowed two runs in a 4-3 loss. While Morales has pitched against seven current Braves, he has not faced any one batter more than three times.
Unlike Morales, Delgado (4-7, 4.12) has started 13 games games this season. He’s on a two-game losing streak, having dropped his last two starts to the Orioles and the Yankees.
He threw eight innings and gave up two runs against the Orioles en route to a 2-0 loss in his last start. On June 11, Delgado gave up three runs in five innings when the Braves lost 3-0 to the Yankees. The 22-year-old last won on June 6, throwing 6 1/3 innings of one-run baseball as the Braves defeated the Marlins, 2-1.
Delgado has never played against the Red Sox and has only faced one player on the current roster, Cody Ross. Ross took the plate three times against Delgado.
Braves vs. Morales (RHP)
Michael Bourn (3 plate appearances): .333 BA/.333 OBP/.333 SLG
Martin Prado (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Dan Uggla (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Jack Wilson (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double
Chipper Jones (2): .000/.000/.000
Brian McCann (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Jason Heyward (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 2 RBIs
Red Sox vs. Delgado (RHP)
Cody Ross (3 plate appearances): .333 BA/.333 OBP/1.333 SLG, 1 HR, 1 RBI
Latest from Bleacher Report
- August Players of the Month: Manuel Margot and Brian Johnson
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox win league championship
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split