Saturday’s Red Sox-Braves matchups: Franklin Morales vs. Randall Delgado
|06.23.12 at 9:54 am ET|
Morales (0-1, 3.14) pitched his first game as a Red Sox starter on June 17 against the Cubs in place of injured Josh Beckett. Morales threw five innings of two-run baseball in the 7-4 Boston victory but did not factor in the decision.
The 26-year-old has appeared in 23 games this season, 22 as a reliever. He recorded a loss on May 4 when he pitched two-thirds of an inning and gave up two earned runs en route to a 6-4 loss to the Orioles.
He last faced the Braves on April 18, 2010, as a reliever. He appeared in the game for two-thirds of an inning and allowed two runs in a 4-3 loss. While Morales has pitched against seven current Braves, he has not faced any one batter more than three times.
Unlike Morales, Delgado (4-7, 4.12) has started 13 games games this season. He’s on a two-game losing streak, having dropped his last two starts to the Orioles and the Yankees.
He threw eight innings and gave up two runs against the Orioles en route to a 2-0 loss in his last start. On June 11, Delgado gave up three runs in five innings when the Braves lost 3-0 to the Yankees. The 22-year-old last won on June 6, throwing 6 1/3 innings of one-run baseball as the Braves defeated the Marlins, 2-1.
Delgado has never played against the Red Sox and has only faced one player on the current roster, Cody Ross. Ross took the plate three times against Delgado.
Braves vs. Morales (RHP)
Michael Bourn (3 plate appearances): .333 BA/.333 OBP/.333 SLG
Martin Prado (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Dan Uggla (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Jack Wilson (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double
Chipper Jones (2): .000/.000/.000
Brian McCann (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Jason Heyward (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 2 RBIs
Red Sox vs. Delgado (RHP)
Cody Ross (3 plate appearances): .333 BA/.333 OBP/1.333 SLG, 1 HR, 1 RBI
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi, Devers record multi-hit games
- Cup of Coffee: Almonte throws six no-hit innings
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101