Saturday’s Red Sox-Braves matchups: Franklin Morales vs. Randall Delgado
|06.23.12 at 9:54 am ET|
Franklin Morales will be making his second start of this season and as a Red Sox when he takes the mound against the Braves and Randall Delgado on Saturday night at Fenway Park.
Morales (0-1, 3.14) pitched his first game as a Red Sox starter on June 17 against the Cubs in place of injured Josh Beckett. Morales threw five innings of two-run baseball in the 7-4 Boston victory but did not factor in the decision.
The 26-year-old has appeared in 23 games this season, 22 as a reliever. He recorded a loss on May 4 when he pitched two-thirds of an inning and gave up two earned runs en route to a 6-4 loss to the Orioles.
He last faced the Braves on April 18, 2010, as a reliever. He appeared in the game for two-thirds of an inning and allowed two runs in a 4-3 loss. While Morales has pitched against seven current Braves, he has not faced any one batter more than three times.
Unlike Morales, Delgado (4-7, 4.12) has started 13 games games this season. He’s on a two-game losing streak, having dropped his last two starts to the Orioles and the Yankees.
He threw eight innings and gave up two runs against the Orioles en route to a 2-0 loss in his last start. On June 11, Delgado gave up three runs in five innings when the Braves lost 3-0 to the Yankees. The 22-year-old last won on June 6, throwing 6 1/3 innings of one-run baseball as the Braves defeated the Marlins, 2-1.
Delgado has never played against the Red Sox and has only faced one player on the current roster, Cody Ross. Ross took the plate three times against Delgado.
Braves vs. Morales (RHP)
Michael Bourn (3 plate appearances): .333 BA/.333 OBP/.333 SLG
Martin Prado (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Dan Uggla (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Jack Wilson (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double
Chipper Jones (2): .000/.000/.000
Brian McCann (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Jason Heyward (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 2 RBIs
Red Sox vs. Delgado (RHP)
Cody Ross (3 plate appearances): .333 BA/.333 OBP/1.333 SLG, 1 HR, 1 RBI
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches
- Cup of Coffee: Light continues to shine, Portland mounts a comeback
- Red Sox acquire two pitching prospects in Peavy trade
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket pushes streak to 11 games
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson strikes out 12 in win, Betts leads PawSox in route
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox