Monday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Henderson Alvarez
|06.25.12 at 9:14 am ET|
The Red Sox on Monday kick off a three-game series at Fenway Park against division rival Toronto. The Sox pushed past the Blue Jays and out of a tie for last place in the AL East on Sunday, and they’re looking to avoid falling back to the bottom.
On the mound for the Sox will be Felix Doubront, who has been a pleasant surprise all year, providing much-needed consistency for a starting rotation that has struggled with that. The 24-year-old lefty leads the team in wins (8, tied with Clay Buchholz), and strikeouts (85). His 4.31 ERA trails only Josh Beckett (4.14) among Sox starters.
Doubront struggled in his last outing, giving up four earned runs on nine hits in six innings against the Marlins at Fenway (although the Sox won the game, 15-5). His four strikeouts were his fewest since May 7. That he pitched far better in Miami a week earlier should come as no surprise, as Doubront has been far less effective at home, with a 5.59 ERA at Fenway compared to 3.19 ERA on the road.
Doubront has faced the Jays twice this season (both in Toronto), compiling a 1-0 record and 4.31 ERA. Career-wise, in 56 total plate appearances, the Blue Jays are hitting .269 against Doubront, with three home runs, seven RBIs and 13 strikeouts.
Fellow Venezuelan Henderson Alvarez will take the mound opposite Doubront. The 22-year-old is 3-6 with a 4.30 ERA in 14 starts this season and has particularly struggled in June, going 0-2 with a 6.29 ERA. His troubles actually date back to his last seven starts, during which time he is 0-4 with a 6.26 ERA.
Henderson features a fastball which he throws 72 percent of the time, a change up (18 percent) and a slider (10 percent). Though his fastball consistently reaches into the mid-to-upper 90s, Henderson does not generate many strikeouts, with just 27 on the season.
He has had some success against the Red Sox, holding them to a .217 batting average in 48 plate appearances. But when he faced them on June 1, he allowed four runs and eight hits in 6 1/3 innings and took the loss.
Blue Jays vs. Doubront (LHP)
Jose Bautista (9 plate appearances): .222 BA/.222 OBP/.889 SLG, 2 home runs, 2 RBIs
Kelly Johnson (8): .429/.500/.429, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Edwin Encarnacion (7): .333/.429/.333, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Yunel Escobar (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Brett Lawrie (6): .333/.333/.500, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Rajai Davis (5): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Colby Rasmus (5): .200/.200/.600, 1 triple, 1 strikeout
David Cooper (4): .250/.250/.500, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
J.P. Arencibia (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jeff Mathis (3): .667/.667/1.667, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Red Sox vs. Alvarez (RHP)
Adrian Gonzalez (9 plate appearances): .250 (BA)/.333 OBP/.375 SLG, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
David Ortiz (8): .429/.500/.857, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Dustin Pedroia (6): .167/.167/.667, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Mike Aviles (5): .200/.200/.200, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (5): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI
Will Middlebrooks (3): .000/.000/.000
Daniel Nava (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double
Nick Punto (2): .000/.000/.000
Cody Ross (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 single
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins