Monday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Henderson Alvarez
|06.25.12 at 9:14 am ET|
The Red Sox on Monday kick off a three-game series at Fenway Park against division rival Toronto. The Sox pushed past the Blue Jays and out of a tie for last place in the AL East on Sunday, and they’re looking to avoid falling back to the bottom.
On the mound for the Sox will be Felix Doubront, who has been a pleasant surprise all year, providing much-needed consistency for a starting rotation that has struggled with that. The 24-year-old lefty leads the team in wins (8, tied with Clay Buchholz), and strikeouts (85). His 4.31 ERA trails only Josh Beckett (4.14) among Sox starters.
Doubront struggled in his last outing, giving up four earned runs on nine hits in six innings against the Marlins at Fenway (although the Sox won the game, 15-5). His four strikeouts were his fewest since May 7. That he pitched far better in Miami a week earlier should come as no surprise, as Doubront has been far less effective at home, with a 5.59 ERA at Fenway compared to 3.19 ERA on the road.
Doubront has faced the Jays twice this season (both in Toronto), compiling a 1-0 record and 4.31 ERA. Career-wise, in 56 total plate appearances, the Blue Jays are hitting .269 against Doubront, with three home runs, seven RBIs and 13 strikeouts.
Fellow Venezuelan Henderson Alvarez will take the mound opposite Doubront. The 22-year-old is 3-6 with a 4.30 ERA in 14 starts this season and has particularly struggled in June, going 0-2 with a 6.29 ERA. His troubles actually date back to his last seven starts, during which time he is 0-4 with a 6.26 ERA.
Henderson features a fastball which he throws 72 percent of the time, a change up (18 percent) and a slider (10 percent). Though his fastball consistently reaches into the mid-to-upper 90s, Henderson does not generate many strikeouts, with just 27 on the season.
He has had some success against the Red Sox, holding them to a .217 batting average in 48 plate appearances. But when he faced them on June 1, he allowed four runs and eight hits in 6 1/3 innings and took the loss.
Blue Jays vs. Doubront (LHP)
Jose Bautista (9 plate appearances): .222 BA/.222 OBP/.889 SLG, 2 home runs, 2 RBIs
Kelly Johnson (8): .429/.500/.429, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Edwin Encarnacion (7): .333/.429/.333, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Yunel Escobar (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Brett Lawrie (6): .333/.333/.500, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Rajai Davis (5): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Colby Rasmus (5): .200/.200/.600, 1 triple, 1 strikeout
David Cooper (4): .250/.250/.500, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
J.P. Arencibia (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jeff Mathis (3): .667/.667/1.667, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Red Sox vs. Alvarez (RHP)
Adrian Gonzalez (9 plate appearances): .250 (BA)/.333 OBP/.375 SLG, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
David Ortiz (8): .429/.500/.857, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Dustin Pedroia (6): .167/.167/.667, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Mike Aviles (5): .200/.200/.200, 2 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (5): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI
Will Middlebrooks (3): .000/.000/.000
Daniel Nava (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double
Nick Punto (2): .000/.000/.000
Cody Ross (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 single
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven