Thursday’s Red Sox-Mariners matchups: Franklin Morales vs. Felix Hernandez
|06.28.12 at 8:22 am ET|
Thursday night marks the beginning of a seven-game West Coast tour for the Red Sox. Boston hasn’t had a day off since June 18 and won’t get one until July 5, but the workload doesn’t appear to wearing the team down — so far, anyway. The Sox have won 11 of their last 14 games and, at 40-35, are five games over .500 for the first time this season.
This trip may be a long one, but once in Seattle the Sox have the good fortune of facing a Mariners club that is dead last in its division and ranks in the bottom half of the league in nearly every major offensive and pitching category.
After spending the bulk of his five-plus seasons as a reliever, Franklin Morales (1-1) will make his third straight start. The 26-year-old pitched well in his first two starts, going five innings and allowing two earned runs with nine strikeouts in a 7-4 Sox win over the Cubs on June 17, and giving up three runs (two earned) over six innings with eight strikeouts in an 8-4 win over the Braves on June 23. The latter earned Morales his first win of the year.
Granted, his total of 34 2/3 innings pitched isn’t a large enough sample to make a fair comparison, but it’s at least worth noting that Morales’ 3.12 ERA is best among Sox starters by more than a run. How he fares as his innings increase will be important to watch, as Morales has never pitched more than 46 innings in a season.
Having spent the majority of his career with Colorado before joining the Sox in May of last season, Morales has only faced the Mariners three times, all in relief appearances. The current Mariners lineup has a total of two hits and zero RBIs in just seven plate appearances against the lefty.
Facing off against Morales is fellow 26-year-old Venezuelan Felix Hernandez. After an up-and-down season, King Felix appears to be rounding into the form that earned him the 2010 Cy Young award, going seven innings and allowing just one earned run in each of his last two starts. He’s also been fantastic at home this season, with a 2.52 ERA and 51 strikeouts to just 13 walks in 50 innings.
Overall, Hernandez in 5-5 in 15 starts this season, with an ERA of 3.36, 11th best in the AL. He also ranks sixth in the AL with 101 2/3 innings pitched while his 101 strikeouts are good for fifth.
In his career, Hernandez is 5-2 against the Red Sox with an ERA of 3.55 and 63 strikeouts in 76 innings. The current Boston lineup is hitting a collective .269 off the righty, with 14 RBIs and 40 strikeouts in 162 plate appearances.
Red Sox vs. Hernandez (RHP)
Adrian Gonzalez (39 plate appearances): .306 BA/.359 OBP/.444 SLG, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 6 RBIs, 3 walks, 9 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (31): .357/.419/.500, 1 double, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
David Ortiz (28): .261/.393/.435, 1 double, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 5 walks, 5 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (20): .211/.250/.263, 1 double, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
Nick Punto (12): .111/.333/.111, 3 walks, 1 strikeout
Mike Aviles (11):.455/.455/.545, 1 double, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Kelly Shoppach (9): .000/.111/.000, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts
Brent Lillibridge (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Ryan Kalish (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Mariners vs. Morales (LHP)
Dustin Ackley (2): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 strikeout
John Jaso (1): .000/1.000/.000, 1 walk
Jesus Montero (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000
Miguel Olivo (1): 1.000/1.000/2.000, 1 double
Kyle Seager (1): .000/.000/.000
Justin Smoak (1): .000/1.000/.000, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins