Monday’s Red Sox-Athletics matchups: Daisuke Matsuzaka vs. Jarrod Parker
|07.02.12 at 9:23 am ET|
The Red Sox will continue their seven-game West Coast road trip with a three-game set in Oakland starting on Monday. Daisuke Matsuzaka will take the mound for the Sox in his fifth start since returning from Tommy John surgery on June 9.
Matsuzaka has been steady for the Sox, but he’s 0-2 with a 4.91 ERA. The righty has completed at least five innings in each of his four starts but has yet to get his first win this season. Things are looking up for him with the Sox winning his last two outings despite back-to-back no-decisions.
In his last start vs. the Blue Jays on June 26, Matsuzaka had to battle through six hits over 5 2/3 innings but finished his outing allowing only one run. He couldn’t get the decision as he left the game down 1-0, but the Red Sox battled back for three runs in the seventh and two in the eighth, helping Matsuzaka avoid his third loss.
The 31-year-old has been quite successful against the A’s with a 4-1 record and 3.69 ERA in seven starts. Only six current Athletics have batted against him. Jonny Gomes has the most at-bats vs. Matsuzaka, and is a lowly 2-for-13. Kurt Suzuki is also a solid 4-for-11 against the righty.
The Athletics, coming off a seven-game divisional road trip, will send rookie starter Jarrod Parker to the mound.
Parker has been impressive in his first full season, going 4-3 with a 2.57 ERA. He’s had nine quality starts in his 12 starts. He had a 3-1 record in June with an impressive 2.18 ERA.
The righty went a strong seven innings in his last outing on June 27 in Seattle. He allowed only one earned run on three hits in a 2-1 win. This was the fifth time that he went at least seven innings this season.
Parker’s only appearance against the Red Sox came on May 1 at Fenway Park, when he got his first major league win. He went 6 2/3 innings, allowing one run over four hits in a 5-3 Athletics win. Cody Ross had the best day against Parker, going 2-for-3 with a double.
Red Sox vs. Parker (RHP)
Mike Aviles (3 plate appearances): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 strikeout
Adrian Gonzalez (3): .000/.000/.000
David Ortiz (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI
Dustin Pedroia (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Nick Punto (3): .000/.667/.000, 2 walk
Cody Ross (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Athletics vs. Matsuzaka (RHP)
Jonny Gomes (15 plate appearances): .154 BA/.267 OBP/.154 SLG, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Kurt Suzuki (11): .364/.364/.636, 1 home run, 2 RBI
Brandon Inge (10): .111/.200/.111, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Cliff Pennington (5): .200/.200/.200, 3 strikeouts
Coco Crisp (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Seth Smith (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept