Monday’s Red Sox-Athletics matchups: Daisuke Matsuzaka vs. Jarrod Parker
|07.02.12 at 9:23 am ET|
The Red Sox will continue their seven-game West Coast road trip with a three-game set in Oakland starting on Monday. Daisuke Matsuzaka will take the mound for the Sox in his fifth start since returning from Tommy John surgery on June 9.
Matsuzaka has been steady for the Sox, but he’s 0-2 with a 4.91 ERA. The righty has completed at least five innings in each of his four starts but has yet to get his first win this season. Things are looking up for him with the Sox winning his last two outings despite back-to-back no-decisions.
In his last start vs. the Blue Jays on June 26, Matsuzaka had to battle through six hits over 5 2/3 innings but finished his outing allowing only one run. He couldn’t get the decision as he left the game down 1-0, but the Red Sox battled back for three runs in the seventh and two in the eighth, helping Matsuzaka avoid his third loss.
The 31-year-old has been quite successful against the A’s with a 4-1 record and 3.69 ERA in seven starts. Only six current Athletics have batted against him. Jonny Gomes has the most at-bats vs. Matsuzaka, and is a lowly 2-for-13. Kurt Suzuki is also a solid 4-for-11 against the righty.
The Athletics, coming off a seven-game divisional road trip, will send rookie starter Jarrod Parker to the mound.
Parker has been impressive in his first full season, going 4-3 with a 2.57 ERA. He’s had nine quality starts in his 12 starts. He had a 3-1 record in June with an impressive 2.18 ERA.
The righty went a strong seven innings in his last outing on June 27 in Seattle. He allowed only one earned run on three hits in a 2-1 win. This was the fifth time that he went at least seven innings this season.
Parker’s only appearance against the Red Sox came on May 1 at Fenway Park, when he got his first major league win. He went 6 2/3 innings, allowing one run over four hits in a 5-3 Athletics win. Cody Ross had the best day against Parker, going 2-for-3 with a double.
Red Sox vs. Parker (RHP)
Mike Aviles (3 plate appearances): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 strikeout
Adrian Gonzalez (3): .000/.000/.000
David Ortiz (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI
Dustin Pedroia (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Nick Punto (3): .000/.667/.000, 2 walk
Cody Ross (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Athletics vs. Matsuzaka (RHP)
Jonny Gomes (15 plate appearances): .154 BA/.267 OBP/.154 SLG, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Kurt Suzuki (11): .364/.364/.636, 1 home run, 2 RBI
Brandon Inge (10): .111/.200/.111, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Cliff Pennington (5): .200/.200/.200, 3 strikeouts
Coco Crisp (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Seth Smith (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster