Monday’s Red Sox-Athletics matchups: Daisuke Matsuzaka vs. Jarrod Parker
|07.02.12 at 9:23 am ET|
The Red Sox will continue their seven-game West Coast road trip with a three-game set in Oakland starting on Monday. Daisuke Matsuzaka will take the mound for the Sox in his fifth start since returning from Tommy John surgery on June 9.
Matsuzaka has been steady for the Sox, but he’s 0-2 with a 4.91 ERA. The righty has completed at least five innings in each of his four starts but has yet to get his first win this season. Things are looking up for him with the Sox winning his last two outings despite back-to-back no-decisions.
In his last start vs. the Blue Jays on June 26, Matsuzaka had to battle through six hits over 5 2/3 innings but finished his outing allowing only one run. He couldn’t get the decision as he left the game down 1-0, but the Red Sox battled back for three runs in the seventh and two in the eighth, helping Matsuzaka avoid his third loss.
The 31-year-old has been quite successful against the A’s with a 4-1 record and 3.69 ERA in seven starts. Only six current Athletics have batted against him. Jonny Gomes has the most at-bats vs. Matsuzaka, and is a lowly 2-for-13. Kurt Suzuki is also a solid 4-for-11 against the righty.
The Athletics, coming off a seven-game divisional road trip, will send rookie starter Jarrod Parker to the mound.
Parker has been impressive in his first full season, going 4-3 with a 2.57 ERA. He’s had nine quality starts in his 12 starts. He had a 3-1 record in June with an impressive 2.18 ERA.
The righty went a strong seven innings in his last outing on June 27 in Seattle. He allowed only one earned run on three hits in a 2-1 win. This was the fifth time that he went at least seven innings this season.
Parker’s only appearance against the Red Sox came on May 1 at Fenway Park, when he got his first major league win. He went 6 2/3 innings, allowing one run over four hits in a 5-3 Athletics win. Cody Ross had the best day against Parker, going 2-for-3 with a double.
Red Sox vs. Parker (RHP)
Mike Aviles (3 plate appearances): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 strikeout
Adrian Gonzalez (3): .000/.000/.000
David Ortiz (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI
Dustin Pedroia (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Nick Punto (3): .000/.667/.000, 2 walk
Cody Ross (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Athletics vs. Matsuzaka (RHP)
Jonny Gomes (15 plate appearances): .154 BA/.267 OBP/.154 SLG, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Kurt Suzuki (11): .364/.364/.636, 1 home run, 2 RBI
Brandon Inge (10): .111/.200/.111, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Cliff Pennington (5): .200/.200/.200, 3 strikeouts
Coco Crisp (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Seth Smith (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi, Devers record multi-hit games
- Cup of Coffee: Almonte throws six no-hit innings
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101