Report: Red Sox agree to deal with 16-year-old pitcher Jose Almonte
|07.02.12 at 9:04 am ET|
According to the indefatigable Ben Badler of Baseball America, the Red Sox have agreed to a deal with Dominican right-hander Jose Almonte, a 16-year-old who is 6-foot-2 and weighs 185 pounds, for a $610,000 signing bonus. Badler, in his overview of the top 20 international prospects this year (a list in which Almonte ranked No. 17), described the right-hander thusly:
“It has been hard for some scouts to get a look at Almonte recently, but scouts who saw him early in the year liked him because of his projectable, lanky frame, smooth delivery and good arm action. He touched 90-91 mph early in the year, though more recent reports had him topping out at 89. He has some projection and could throw harder down the road. He’s flashed ability to throw a solid curveball with downward bite, but it’s inconsistent and he’s still learning to throw it for strikes. Several sources believe the Red Sox will be the team that ends up signing Almonte.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins