Report: Red Sox agree to deal with 16-year-old pitcher Jose Almonte
|07.02.12 at 9:04 am ET|
According to the indefatigable Ben Badler of Baseball America, the Red Sox have agreed to a deal with Dominican right-hander Jose Almonte, a 16-year-old who is 6-foot-2 and weighs 185 pounds, for a $610,000 signing bonus. Badler, in his overview of the top 20 international prospects this year (a list in which Almonte ranked No. 17), described the right-hander thusly:
“It has been hard for some scouts to get a look at Almonte recently, but scouts who saw him early in the year liked him because of his projectable, lanky frame, smooth delivery and good arm action. He touched 90-91 mph early in the year, though more recent reports had him topping out at 89. He has some projection and could throw harder down the road. He’s flashed ability to throw a solid curveball with downward bite, but it’s inconsistent and he’s still learning to throw it for strikes. Several sources believe the Red Sox will be the team that ends up signing Almonte.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017