Tuesday’s Red Sox-Athletics matchups: Jon Lester vs. Bartolo Colon
|07.03.12 at 9:26 am ET|
Lester’s season has been mediocre at best, as he has a 5-5 record with a 4.53 ERA. The southpaw has been able to give Boston solid innings, averaging a little less than 6 1/3 innings a start, and nine of his 16 starts have been quality starts. Lester went 2-1 with a 4.01 ERA in June.
In his last outing vs. Toronto on June 27 the lefty was able to get a win despite allowing four runs on seven hits over seven innings. He also allowed two home runs but was supported by a monster effort of 10 runs from the Red Sox hitters.
The 28-year-old has been average against the Athletics in his career with a 3-3 record and a 4.53 ERA. Kurt Suzuki and Jonny Gomes are the only Oakland players with a substantial amount of at-bats against Lester. They are 3-for-14 and 4-for-12, respectively.
Coming off an oblique injury, the former Red Sox pitcher Bartolo Colon is slated to start for the Athletics opposite Lester.
Colon, known for eating innings, has had an average season for the Athletics, going 6-7 with a 4.22 ERA. He had a dismal May in which he was 1-3 with a 7.92 ERA, including two outings when he allowed six or more runs. That came on the heels of an impressive April when he was 2-2 with a 2.86 ERA.
His last start came on June 17 when he only was able to get through two innings before he was pulled after suffering a pulled oblique on his right side. He allowed one run and received the loss in the 2-1 defeat to the Padres.
The 39-year-old, a member of seven teams in his career, has faced only two Red Sox players more than 10 times. David Ortiz has the most at-bats and is an abysmal 5-for-43. Adrian Gonzalez is 4-for-15.
Red Sox vs. Colon (RHP)
David Ortiz (47 plate appearances): .116 BA/.191 OBP/.209 SLG, 1 double, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 4 walks, 15 strikeouts
Adrian Gonzalez (15): .267/.267/.667, 2 home runs, 2 RBIs, 5 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (9): .222/.222/.333, 1 double, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (8): .143/.250/.143, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Kelly Shoppach (8): .125/.125/.250, 1 double, 5 strikeouts
Nick Punto (6): .400/.400/.400
Josh Beckett (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Cody Ross (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 RBI
Mike Aviles (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Athletics vs. Lester (LHP)
Kurt Suzuki (16 plate appearances): .214 BA/.313 OBP/.214 SLG, 2 walk, 2 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (13): .333/.385/.583, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, strikeouts
Brandon Inge (5): .000/.200/.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Coco Crisp (3): .500/.333/.500, 1 RBI
Cliff Pennington (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk
Jemile Weeks (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven