David Ortiz ‘humiliated’ by way Red Sox treated him in offseason
|07.05.12 at 8:15 am ET|
David Ortiz has another problem.
The Red Sox‘ designated hitter and only All-Star this season voiced some of his issues with the Sox and their upper management, a point made clear in a piece written by USA Today’s Jorge L. Ortiz. In the story, the slugger suggested that he will not necessarily have an allegiance to the Sox on the open market.
Ortiz, a free agent after the season, made it clear in the piece that he has an issue with the Sox spending big on free agents but not on their longest-tenured player.
“If you go crazy and give contracts to whoever comes along despite not knowing how they’re going to do, then you don’t give me my due consideration, even though I do my thing every year, [expletive] that,” Ortiz said. “I’m going to be open to anything. My mentality is not going to be, ‘I like it here.’ It’s going to be, ‘Bring it to the table, and we’ll see what happens.'”
Last offseason, Ortiz wanted a two-year deal but eventually took a one-year, $14.575 million pact shortly before he would have gone to arbitration.
“It was humiliating. There’s no reason a guy like me should go through that,” Ortiz said. “All I was looking for was two years, at the same salary [$12.5 million].
“They ended up giving me [$2.025 million] more than that , and look at my numbers this year. Tell me if they wouldn’t have been better off. And yet they don’t hesitate to sign other guys. It was embarrassing.”
This season, Ortiz is hitting .302/.391/.607 with a team-leading 22 homers and 55 RBI.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo