Saturday’s Game 1 Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Franklin Morales vs. Phil Hughes
|07.07.12 at 7:58 am ET|
Morales (1-1, 2.51) has made three starts this season, filling in for various injured Red Sox starting pitchers. Morales last pitched on July 4, tossing 1 1/3 innings and allowing no runs or hits against the Athletics.
The 26-year-old made his last start on June 28, when he pitched seven innings and allowed zero runs en route to a 1-0 loss to Seattle. It marked the only time during Morales’ three starts when the Red Sox lost.
Morales pitched against the Yankees on April 21, throwing two-thirds of an inning and allowing one earned run as the Red Sox lost 15-9.
Hughes (9-6, 4-29), who is on a two-game winning streak, will take the mound against the Red Sox for the first time this season. He lost one game in his last six starts, a 10-5 loss to the Braves. In that game Hughes allowed six runs and four home runs in 4 1/3 innings.
In his last win Hughes pitched eight innings of two-run baseball en route to a 4-2 victory over the White Sox. Prior to that Hughes pitched eight innings against the Indians and allowed zero runs as the Yankees won 6-4.
Nine current Red Sox have faced the Yankees pitcher, but only David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia have faced Hughes more than three times. In 21 appearances Ortiz has recorded two home runs and seven RBIs, while Pedroia has batted in four runs in 20 appearances.Yankees vs. Morales (LHP)
Russell Martin (7 plate appearances): .333 BA/.429 OBP/.333 SLG, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Robinson Cano (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Curtis Granderson (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Nick Swisher (2): .500/.500/.500
Mark Teixeria (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Andruw Jones (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Dewayne Wise (1): .000/.000/.000
Red Sox vs. Hughes (RHP)
David Ortiz (21 plate appearances): .471 BA/.524 OBP/1.000 SLG, 3 doubles, 2 home runs, 7 RBIs, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (20): .222/.300/.444, 1 double, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Adrian Gonzalez (5): .400/.400/.400, 1 RBI
Ryan Kalish (5): .200/.200/.200
Kelly Shoppach (3): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Mike Aviles (2): .000/.000/.000
Nick Punto (2): .000/.000/.000 1 RBI
Daniel Nava (1): .000/.000/.000
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power