Saturday’s Game 1 Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Franklin Morales vs. Phil Hughes
|07.07.12 at 7:58 am ET|
Morales (1-1, 2.51) has made three starts this season, filling in for various injured Red Sox starting pitchers. Morales last pitched on July 4, tossing 1 1/3 innings and allowing no runs or hits against the Athletics.
The 26-year-old made his last start on June 28, when he pitched seven innings and allowed zero runs en route to a 1-0 loss to Seattle. It marked the only time during Morales’ three starts when the Red Sox lost.
Morales pitched against the Yankees on April 21, throwing two-thirds of an inning and allowing one earned run as the Red Sox lost 15-9.
Hughes (9-6, 4-29), who is on a two-game winning streak, will take the mound against the Red Sox for the first time this season. He lost one game in his last six starts, a 10-5 loss to the Braves. In that game Hughes allowed six runs and four home runs in 4 1/3 innings.
In his last win Hughes pitched eight innings of two-run baseball en route to a 4-2 victory over the White Sox. Prior to that Hughes pitched eight innings against the Indians and allowed zero runs as the Yankees won 6-4.
Nine current Red Sox have faced the Yankees pitcher, but only David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia have faced Hughes more than three times. In 21 appearances Ortiz has recorded two home runs and seven RBIs, while Pedroia has batted in four runs in 20 appearances.Yankees vs. Morales (LHP)
Russell Martin (7 plate appearances): .333 BA/.429 OBP/.333 SLG, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Robinson Cano (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Curtis Granderson (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Nick Swisher (2): .500/.500/.500
Mark Teixeria (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Andruw Jones (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Dewayne Wise (1): .000/.000/.000
Red Sox vs. Hughes (RHP)
David Ortiz (21 plate appearances): .471 BA/.524 OBP/1.000 SLG, 3 doubles, 2 home runs, 7 RBIs, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (20): .222/.300/.444, 1 double, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Adrian Gonzalez (5): .400/.400/.400, 1 RBI
Ryan Kalish (5): .200/.200/.200
Kelly Shoppach (3): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Mike Aviles (2): .000/.000/.000
Nick Punto (2): .000/.000/.000 1 RBI
Daniel Nava (1): .000/.000/.000
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance