Saturday’s Game 1 Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Franklin Morales vs. Phil Hughes
|07.07.12 at 7:58 am ET|
Morales (1-1, 2.51) has made three starts this season, filling in for various injured Red Sox starting pitchers. Morales last pitched on July 4, tossing 1 1/3 innings and allowing no runs or hits against the Athletics.
The 26-year-old made his last start on June 28, when he pitched seven innings and allowed zero runs en route to a 1-0 loss to Seattle. It marked the only time during Morales’ three starts when the Red Sox lost.
Morales pitched against the Yankees on April 21, throwing two-thirds of an inning and allowing one earned run as the Red Sox lost 15-9.
Hughes (9-6, 4-29), who is on a two-game winning streak, will take the mound against the Red Sox for the first time this season. He lost one game in his last six starts, a 10-5 loss to the Braves. In that game Hughes allowed six runs and four home runs in 4 1/3 innings.
In his last win Hughes pitched eight innings of two-run baseball en route to a 4-2 victory over the White Sox. Prior to that Hughes pitched eight innings against the Indians and allowed zero runs as the Yankees won 6-4.
Nine current Red Sox have faced the Yankees pitcher, but only David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia have faced Hughes more than three times. In 21 appearances Ortiz has recorded two home runs and seven RBIs, while Pedroia has batted in four runs in 20 appearances.Yankees vs. Morales (LHP)
Russell Martin (7 plate appearances): .333 BA/.429 OBP/.333 SLG, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Robinson Cano (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Curtis Granderson (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Nick Swisher (2): .500/.500/.500
Mark Teixeria (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Andruw Jones (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Dewayne Wise (1): .000/.000/.000
Red Sox vs. Hughes (RHP)
David Ortiz (21 plate appearances): .471 BA/.524 OBP/1.000 SLG, 3 doubles, 2 home runs, 7 RBIs, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (20): .222/.300/.444, 1 double, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Adrian Gonzalez (5): .400/.400/.400, 1 RBI
Ryan Kalish (5): .200/.200/.200
Kelly Shoppach (3): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Mike Aviles (2): .000/.000/.000
Nick Punto (2): .000/.000/.000 1 RBI
Daniel Nava (1): .000/.000/.000
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston