Trade Deadline: Red Sox interested in Ian Desmond?
|07.24.11 at 2:30 pm ET|
The Nationals are “actively shopping” shortstop Ian Desmond and the Red Sox are a potential suitor, tweeted Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports. The Giants are also rumored to be interested, and Passan called Tampa Bay a “good fit.”
In another tweet, Passan explained that the Nationals have told other MLB teams that the 25-year-old prospect is available. He added that this likely means the organization is leaning towards Stephen Lombardozzi as their middle infielder of the future.
Lombardozzi is hitting .322 this season with a .372 on-base percentage and 21 stolen bases, splitting time between AA-Harrisburg (65) and AAA-Syracuse (31). Passan said that general manager Anthony Rizzo “loves” Lombardozzi.
Desmond has struggled at the Major League level in 2011. After a solid 2010 campaign in which he hit .269 with 27 doubles in 154 games, he has hit at a measly .228 pace this time around. He also has a .276 on-base percentage, but with Jed Lowrie on the shelf (right shoulder injury), Desmond could be a useful addition. Boston has Marco Scutaro starting at shortstop, but 23-year-old Yamaico Navarro is hardly a capable backup. Navarro is hitting .174 average in 23 at-bats.
Boston does have Jose Iglesias waiting in AAA-Pawtucket, but based on his offensive production this season — or lack thereof — he may still be a year or two away from the majors.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday