Sunday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Jon Lester vs. Ivan Nova
|07.08.12 at 1:29 pm ET|
Lester (5-5) has a 4.33 ERA and a 1.306 WHIP on the season while recording 88 strikeouts in 17 starts. These numbers are worse than they were at this point last season for Lester, who had a 3.43 ERA and 105 strikeouts in his first 17 starts in 2011. However, the lefty had a strong outing Tuesday in Oakland, only allowing one run on four hits while striking out nine through 6 2/3 innings pitched.
Against the Yankees in his career, Lester is 8-3 with a 4.15 ERA in 17 starts. One of the more interesting matchups on Sunday will be the battle between Lester and Alex Rodriguez. Rodriguez only has six hits against Lester in his 37 plate appearances, but of those six hits, three are home runs and two are doubles.
Doing battle with Lester is young righty Ivan Nova, who has had a lot of success with the Yankees since arriving in the major leagues in 2010.
Nova (9-3) has a 4.05 ERA and 90 strikeouts this season in 16 starts. His numbers are better than they were last year, as Nova had a 4.26 ERA and 48 strikeouts through his first 16 starts in 2011, despite finishing with an impressive 16-4 record.
While Nova is only 25 and was a rookie last season (he appeared in 10 games with the Yankees the season before), Nova has had his fair share of dealings with the Red Sox lineup. One player he has had a lot of success with is Adrian Gonzalez, who had a career-high 17-game hitting streak entering Saturday night’s game. Nova has not allowed Gonzalez to record a hit in any of his nine plate appearances against him.
Yankees vs. Lester (LHP)
Derek Jeter (53 plate appearances): .347 BA/.396 OBP/ .408 SLG, 1 home run, 5 RBIs, 10 strikeouts
Robinson Cano (48): .267/.292/.356, 4 doubles, 4 RBIs, 8 strikeouts
Nick Swisher (45): .278/.386/.556, 2 home runs, 4 doubles, 11 strikeouts
Mark Teixeira (38): .206/.289/.294, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 13 strikeouts
Alex Rodriguez (37): .176/.243/.500, 3 home runs, 6 RBIs, 9 strikeouts
Andruw Jones (27): .316/.481/.474, 1 home run, 5 RBIs, 7 strikeouts
Curtis Granderson (22): .238/.273/.381, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 10 strikeouts
Jayson Nix (14): .333/.429/.833, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Raul Ibanez (12): .333/.333/.500, 2 doubles, 5 strikeouts
Russel Martin (11): .286/.545/.286, 3 walks, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Red Sox vs. Nova (RHP)
David Ortiz (12 plate appearances): .273 BA/.333 OBP/.545 SLG, 1 home run, 1 walk, 2 RBIs
Adrian Gonzalez (9 plate appearances): .000/.111/.000, 1 walk, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Mike Aviles (6): .333/.333/.500, 1 double, 2 RBIs
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (5): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (4): .333/.500/.333, 1 walk, 1 RBI
Kelly Shoppach (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 strikeout
Ryan Kalish (3): .000/.667/.000 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Cody Ross (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Nick Punto (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome