Sunday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Jon Lester vs. Ivan Nova
|07.08.12 at 1:29 pm ET|
Lester (5-5) has a 4.33 ERA and a 1.306 WHIP on the season while recording 88 strikeouts in 17 starts. These numbers are worse than they were at this point last season for Lester, who had a 3.43 ERA and 105 strikeouts in his first 17 starts in 2011. However, the lefty had a strong outing Tuesday in Oakland, only allowing one run on four hits while striking out nine through 6 2/3 innings pitched.
Against the Yankees in his career, Lester is 8-3 with a 4.15 ERA in 17 starts. One of the more interesting matchups on Sunday will be the battle between Lester and Alex Rodriguez. Rodriguez only has six hits against Lester in his 37 plate appearances, but of those six hits, three are home runs and two are doubles.
Doing battle with Lester is young righty Ivan Nova, who has had a lot of success with the Yankees since arriving in the major leagues in 2010.
Nova (9-3) has a 4.05 ERA and 90 strikeouts this season in 16 starts. His numbers are better than they were last year, as Nova had a 4.26 ERA and 48 strikeouts through his first 16 starts in 2011, despite finishing with an impressive 16-4 record.
While Nova is only 25 and was a rookie last season (he appeared in 10 games with the Yankees the season before), Nova has had his fair share of dealings with the Red Sox lineup. One player he has had a lot of success with is Adrian Gonzalez, who had a career-high 17-game hitting streak entering Saturday night’s game. Nova has not allowed Gonzalez to record a hit in any of his nine plate appearances against him.
Yankees vs. Lester (LHP)
Derek Jeter (53 plate appearances): .347 BA/.396 OBP/ .408 SLG, 1 home run, 5 RBIs, 10 strikeouts
Robinson Cano (48): .267/.292/.356, 4 doubles, 4 RBIs, 8 strikeouts
Nick Swisher (45): .278/.386/.556, 2 home runs, 4 doubles, 11 strikeouts
Mark Teixeira (38): .206/.289/.294, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 13 strikeouts
Alex Rodriguez (37): .176/.243/.500, 3 home runs, 6 RBIs, 9 strikeouts
Andruw Jones (27): .316/.481/.474, 1 home run, 5 RBIs, 7 strikeouts
Curtis Granderson (22): .238/.273/.381, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 10 strikeouts
Jayson Nix (14): .333/.429/.833, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Raul Ibanez (12): .333/.333/.500, 2 doubles, 5 strikeouts
Russel Martin (11): .286/.545/.286, 3 walks, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
Red Sox vs. Nova (RHP)
David Ortiz (12 plate appearances): .273 BA/.333 OBP/.545 SLG, 1 home run, 1 walk, 2 RBIs
Adrian Gonzalez (9 plate appearances): .000/.111/.000, 1 walk, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Mike Aviles (6): .333/.333/.500, 1 double, 2 RBIs
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (5): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (4): .333/.500/.333, 1 walk, 1 RBI
Kelly Shoppach (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 strikeout
Ryan Kalish (3): .000/.667/.000 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Cody Ross (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Nick Punto (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0