David Ortiz has no regrets about not entering Home Run Derby
|07.09.12 at 11:26 pm ET|
KANSAS CITY — After watching Prince Fielder claim the Home Run Derby title for a second time, topping Toronto’s Jose Bautista, David Ortiz – perhaps the American League side’s top cheerleader — said he has no regrets about not entering the contest.
Ortiz joined Robinson Cano’s father in pointing out that the reason last year’s champ (and AL captain) didn’t hit a single home run was the same reason the Red Sox‘ designated hitter didn’t have any second thoughts about participating — exhaustion.
“No, not at all,” said Ortiz when asked if he had any regrets in not participating. “Why do you think Cano didn’t hit any? We had a long weekend. Cano not going deep?”
Jose Cano, who pitched to his son, was also asked about the reception given by the Royals Stadium crowd to the Yankees second baseman. The younger Cano was booed heartily with each of his swings thanks to the decision not to select Kansas City’s Billy Butler as part of the American League HR Derby squad.
“You guys know why. It doesn’t mean nothing,” Jose Cano said. “Sometimes you’ve got to pick the guys on your team. It’s nothing. I know why the fans feel that way. I know he feels really tired, playing four games in three days.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.