David Ortiz has no regrets about not entering Home Run Derby
|07.09.12 at 11:26 pm ET|
KANSAS CITY — After watching Prince Fielder claim the Home Run Derby title for a second time, topping Toronto’s Jose Bautista, David Ortiz — perhaps the American League side’s top cheerleader — said he has no regrets about not entering the contest.
Ortiz joined Robinson Cano’s father in pointing out that the reason last year’s champ (and AL captain) didn’t hit a single home run was the same reason the Red Sox‘ designated hitter didn’t have any second thoughts about participating — exhaustion.
“No, not at all,” said Ortiz when asked if he had any regrets in not participating. “Why do you think Cano didn’t hit any? We had a long weekend. Cano not going deep?”
Jose Cano, who pitched to his son, was also asked about the reception given by the Royals Stadium crowd to the Yankees second baseman. The younger Cano was booed heartily with each of his swings thanks to the decision not to select Kansas City’s Billy Butler as part of the American League HR Derby squad.
“You guys know why. It doesn’t mean nothing,” Jose Cano said. “Sometimes you’ve got to pick the guys on your team. It’s nothing. I know why the fans feel that way. I know he feels really tired, playing four games in three days.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts