David Ortiz has no regrets about not entering Home Run Derby
|07.09.12 at 11:26 pm ET|
KANSAS CITY — After watching Prince Fielder claim the Home Run Derby title for a second time, topping Toronto’s Jose Bautista, David Ortiz — perhaps the American League side’s top cheerleader — said he has no regrets about not entering the contest.
Ortiz joined Robinson Cano’s father in pointing out that the reason last year’s champ (and AL captain) didn’t hit a single home run was the same reason the Red Sox‘ designated hitter didn’t have any second thoughts about participating — exhaustion.
“No, not at all,” said Ortiz when asked if he had any regrets in not participating. “Why do you think Cano didn’t hit any? We had a long weekend. Cano not going deep?”
Jose Cano, who pitched to his son, was also asked about the reception given by the Royals Stadium crowd to the Yankees second baseman. The younger Cano was booed heartily with each of his swings thanks to the decision not to select Kansas City’s Billy Butler as part of the American League HR Derby squad.
“You guys know why. It doesn’t mean nothing,” Jose Cano said. “Sometimes you’ve got to pick the guys on your team. It’s nothing. I know why the fans feel that way. I know he feels really tired, playing four games in three days.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers