David Ortiz has no regrets about not entering Home Run Derby
|07.09.12 at 11:26 pm ET|
KANSAS CITY — After watching Prince Fielder claim the Home Run Derby title for a second time, topping Toronto’s Jose Bautista, David Ortiz — perhaps the American League side’s top cheerleader — said he has no regrets about not entering the contest.
Ortiz joined Robinson Cano’s father in pointing out that the reason last year’s champ (and AL captain) didn’t hit a single home run was the same reason the Red Sox‘ designated hitter didn’t have any second thoughts about participating — exhaustion.
“No, not at all,” said Ortiz when asked if he had any regrets in not participating. “Why do you think Cano didn’t hit any? We had a long weekend. Cano not going deep?”
Jose Cano, who pitched to his son, was also asked about the reception given by the Royals Stadium crowd to the Yankees second baseman. The younger Cano was booed heartily with each of his swings thanks to the decision not to select Kansas City’s Billy Butler as part of the American League HR Derby squad.
“You guys know why. It doesn’t mean nothing,” Jose Cano said. “Sometimes you’ve got to pick the guys on your team. It’s nothing. I know why the fans feel that way. I know he feels really tired, playing four games in three days.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated