|Red Sox sign Arizona State football star Brandon Magee||07.12.12 at 2:14 pm ET|
The Red Sox have already signed a wide receiver, and now appear close to adding a linebacker to their ranks.
A few days after the team signed Khiry Cooper, a wide receiver out of the University of Tulsa (formerly the University of Nebraska) who is expected to enter the Red Sox system after playing football in the fall, the team completed a deal (according to multiple major league sources) on Thursday afternoon with 23rd round pick Brandon Magee, a star linebacker at ASU who played 23 games over three years for the Sun Devils baseball team.
Magee hit .103/.297/.138 while striking out 22 times in 29 at-bats, though such numbers were considered virtually inevitable given that almost all of his career has been dedicated to the gridiron, with little time spent playing baseball. Still, he is considered an incredible athlete and is tremendously strong, making him an intriguing low-risk, high-upside play should he be able to get regular playing time as a professional outfielder.
He blew out his Achilles prior to the 2011 football season, requiring season-ending surgery, and will play football for ASU in 2012 before he starts his pro baseball career with the Sox next spring training. Magee has been drafted twice previously, first by the Rays in the 29th round in 2008 and then by the Athletics in the 21st round of the 2011 draft.
- Weekly Notes: Iglesias and Aceves promoted
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Natoli and Almanzar ignite Portland
- Red Sox recall Iglesias, Aceves; place Victorino, Middlebrooks on DL
- Cup of Coffee: Morales sharp in rehab outing as Sea Dogs roll
- Red Sox ink veteran lefty Rafael Perez to minor league deal
- Cup of Coffee: Vazquez nearly hits for cycle in Portland’s walk-off win
- Players of the Week, May 13-19: Mookie Betts and Matt Price
- Cup of Coffee: Montas strikes out eight in Greenville loss
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #34
- ESPNBoston: De La Rosa finding his way in Pawtucket