Wednesday’s Red Sox-White Sox matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Pedro Hernandez
|07.18.12 at 8:59 am ET|
Note: Updated to reflect White Sox‘ change from Jose Quintana to Pedro Hernandez (who was pushed back to Thursday).
Felix Doubront will match up against another young left-handed Venezuelan Wednesday when the Red Sox take on the White Sox, as Pedro Hernandez will make his major league debut for Chicago.
Doubront (9-4, 4.41 ERA) earned the only win in the four-game series with the Yankees before the All-Star break. He recorded six strikeouts and allowed three earned runs through 6 1/3 innings in the outing.
The 24-year-old had been one of the most consistent cogs in the Red Sox starting rotation early in the season, recording a 3.86 ERA and 59 strikeouts in 10 starts through April and May. However, in his last seven outings since the beginning of June, Doubront has a 5.18 ERA with 38 strikeouts.
In his one career start against the White Sox on April 26, Doubront earned his first win of the season, allowing three runs and five hits through six innings. The White Sox hitter he had the most trouble with was Dayan Viciedo, who blasted a solo home run.
The Red Sox batters will be getting their first look at Hernandez on Wednesday. The 23-year-old, acquired from the Padres in December in the deal that sent Carlos Quentin to San Diego, is 7-2 with a 2.90 ERA in the minors this season.
White Sox vs. Doubront (LHP)
Gordon Beckham (3 plate appearances): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 strikeout
Alejandro De Aza (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double
Adam Dunn (3): .000/.667/.000, 1 walk, 1 HBP
Paul Konerko (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 1 RBI
A.J. Pierzynski (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 RBI, 1 double
Alexei Ramirez (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Alex Rios (3): .000/.000/.000
Dayan Viciedo (3): .667/.667/1/667, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Red Sox vs. Hernandez (LHP)
No Red Sox batters have faced Hernandez.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt