Wednesday’s Red Sox-White Sox matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Pedro Hernandez
|07.18.12 at 8:59 am ET|
Note: Updated to reflect White Sox‘ change from Jose Quintana to Pedro Hernandez (who was pushed back to Thursday).
Felix Doubront will match up against another young left-handed Venezuelan Wednesday when the Red Sox take on the White Sox, as Pedro Hernandez will make his major league debut for Chicago.
Doubront (9-4, 4.41 ERA) earned the only win in the four-game series with the Yankees before the All-Star break. He recorded six strikeouts and allowed three earned runs through 6 1/3 innings in the outing.
The 24-year-old had been one of the most consistent cogs in the Red Sox starting rotation early in the season, recording a 3.86 ERA and 59 strikeouts in 10 starts through April and May. However, in his last seven outings since the beginning of June, Doubront has a 5.18 ERA with 38 strikeouts.
In his one career start against the White Sox on April 26, Doubront earned his first win of the season, allowing three runs and five hits through six innings. The White Sox hitter he had the most trouble with was Dayan Viciedo, who blasted a solo home run.
The Red Sox batters will be getting their first look at Hernandez on Wednesday. The 23-year-old, acquired from the Padres in December in the deal that sent Carlos Quentin to San Diego, is 7-2 with a 2.90 ERA in the minors this season.
White Sox vs. Doubront (LHP)
Gordon Beckham (3 plate appearances): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 strikeout
Alejandro De Aza (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double
Adam Dunn (3): .000/.667/.000, 1 walk, 1 HBP
Paul Konerko (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 1 RBI
A.J. Pierzynski (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 RBI, 1 double
Alexei Ramirez (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Alex Rios (3): .000/.000/.000
Dayan Viciedo (3): .667/.667/1/667, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Red Sox vs. Hernandez (LHP)
No Red Sox batters have faced Hernandez.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts