Wednesday’s Red Sox-White Sox matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Pedro Hernandez
|07.18.12 at 8:59 am ET|
Note: Updated to reflect White Sox‘ change from Jose Quintana to Pedro Hernandez (who was pushed back to Thursday).
Felix Doubront will match up against another young left-handed Venezuelan Wednesday when the Red Sox take on the White Sox, as Pedro Hernandez will make his major league debut for Chicago.
Doubront (9-4, 4.41 ERA) earned the only win in the four-game series with the Yankees before the All-Star break. He recorded six strikeouts and allowed three earned runs through 6 1/3 innings in the outing.
The 24-year-old had been one of the most consistent cogs in the Red Sox starting rotation early in the season, recording a 3.86 ERA and 59 strikeouts in 10 starts through April and May. However, in his last seven outings since the beginning of June, Doubront has a 5.18 ERA with 38 strikeouts.
In his one career start against the White Sox on April 26, Doubront earned his first win of the season, allowing three runs and five hits through six innings. The White Sox hitter he had the most trouble with was Dayan Viciedo, who blasted a solo home run.
The Red Sox batters will be getting their first look at Hernandez on Wednesday. The 23-year-old, acquired from the Padres in December in the deal that sent Carlos Quentin to San Diego, is 7-2 with a 2.90 ERA in the minors this season.
White Sox vs. Doubront (LHP)
Gordon Beckham (3 plate appearances): .000 BA/.000 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 strikeout
Alejandro De Aza (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double
Adam Dunn (3): .000/.667/.000, 1 walk, 1 HBP
Paul Konerko (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 1 RBI
A.J. Pierzynski (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 RBI, 1 double
Alexei Ramirez (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Alex Rios (3): .000/.000/.000
Dayan Viciedo (3): .667/.667/1/667, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Red Sox vs. Hernandez (LHP)
No Red Sox batters have faced Hernandez.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?