Friday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Josh Beckett vs. Aaron Laffey
|07.20.12 at 10:18 am ET|
The Red Sox have won five out of their seven games since the All-Star break, and now with the momentum of Thursday’s dramatic win over the White Sox courtesy of Cody Ross‘ walk-off home run, Boston will send Josh Beckett to the mound Friday against the Blue Jays to keep it going.
Beckett bounced back from a rough outing against the Yankees on July 6 with a win Sunday over the Rays in which Beckett recorded seven strikeouts while allowing three runs through six innings pitched.
The three-time All-Star has not been the ace the Red Sox have expected him to be, recording a 5-7 record with a 4.44 ERA and 72 strikeouts this season.
The Blue Jays are familiar with the 32-year-old righty, especially Adam Lind, who has a .789 slugging percentage and a home run off Beckett.
Matching up against Beckett is Blue Jays lefty Aaron Laffey, who earned his first win in his last start against the Indians on Saturday. Laffey, who has made four starts after making four appearances as a reliever earlier in the year, has a 1-1 record with a 3.38 ERA.
In Laffey’s win over the Indians, the 27-year-old allowed four runs on eight hits while recording four strikeouts through five innings.
The Red Sox last faced Laffey in his first start of the year on June 26, when he shut Boston out through six innings while only allowing three hits. However, the Red Sox got to the Blue Jays bullpen and won 5-1.
Carl Crawford, who has been hot since his return from injury with six hits in his first 14 at-bats (.429 batting average), has a chance to keep his numbers up as he has a .400 average with a double against Laffey in his career.Blue Jays vs. Beckett (RHP)
Adam Lind (22 plate appearances): .421 BA/.500 OBP/.789 SLG, 1 home run, 4 doubles, 4 strikeouts
Omar Vizquel (15): .267/.267/.333 SLG, 1 double, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Yunel Escobar (11): .091/.091/.091, 3 strikeouts
Kelly Johnson (10): .222/.300/.222, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Jeff Mathis (10): .200/.200/.400, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Edwin Encarnacion (8): .143/.125/.143, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Rajai Davis (3): .000/.000/.000
Ben Francisco (3): 1.000/.1.000/2.000, 2 double
Brett Lawrie (1): .000/.000/.000
Red Sox vs. Laffey (LHP)
Nick Punto (13 plate appearances): .182 BA/.308 OBP/.273 SLG, 1 double, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Carl Crawford (12): .400/.455/.500, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (11): .400/.455/.500, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Mike Aviles (10): .200/.200/.200, 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (8): .333/.500/.833, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 2 walks
Kelly Shoppach (5): .200/.200/.200, 1 RBI
Adrian Gonzalez (4): .500/.750/1.000, 1 double, 2 walks
Cody Ross (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (2): .000/.000/.000
Will Middlebrooks (2): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Ryan Sweeney (1): .000/.000/.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller