Trade Deadline: Orioles acquire Mets SS Omar Quintanilla
|07.20.12 at 9:12 pm ET|
The Mets on Friday sent shortstop Omar Quintanilla to the Orioles for cash.
Initially the 30-year-old had been designated for assignment to make room for Jason Bay, but the Mets decided to trade Quintanilla because they were afraid of losing him on waivers.
In 29 games with the Mets this season, Quintanilla batted .257 with five doubles, one home run, four RBIs and 17 strikeouts. He appeared in 23 of those games as a shortstop.
He played five seasons with the Rockies and one with the Rangers before the Mets signed him as a free agent before this season. The most games Quintanilla has played in a single season was 81 with the Rockies in 2008.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off