Trade Deadline: Orioles acquire Mets SS Omar Quintanilla
|07.20.12 at 9:12 pm ET|
The Mets on Friday sent shortstop Omar Quintanilla to the Orioles for cash.
Initially the 30-year-old had been designated for assignment to make room for Jason Bay, but the Mets decided to trade Quintanilla because they were afraid of losing him on waivers.
In 29 games with the Mets this season, Quintanilla batted .257 with five doubles, one home run, four RBIs and 17 strikeouts. He appeared in 23 of those games as a shortstop.
He played five seasons with the Rockies and one with the Rangers before the Mets signed him as a free agent before this season. The most games Quintanilla has played in a single season was 81 with the Rockies in 2008.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot