Trade Deadline: Orioles acquire Mets SS Omar Quintanilla
|07.20.12 at 9:12 pm ET|
The Mets on Friday sent shortstop Omar Quintanilla to the Orioles for cash.
Initially the 30-year-old had been designated for assignment to make room for Jason Bay, but the Mets decided to trade Quintanilla because they were afraid of losing him on waivers.
In 29 games with the Mets this season, Quintanilla batted .257 with five doubles, one home run, four RBIs and 17 strikeouts. He appeared in 23 of those games as a shortstop.
He played five seasons with the Rockies and one with the Rangers before the Mets signed him as a free agent before this season. The most games Quintanilla has played in a single season was 81 with the Rockies in 2008.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- ESPNBoston: SoxProspects covering the Trade Deadline
- Red Sox trade Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
- Red Sox send Lackey. Littrell, and cash to Cardinals for Joe Kelly, Allen Craig
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart