Sunday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Jon Lester vs. Henderson Alvarez
|07.22.12 at 8:00 am ET|
Lester has struggled this season with a 5-7 record and a meager 4.80 ERA. However, he’s been able to give the Sox decent innings, eclipsing the six-inning mark in 11 of his 19 starts. He had his best month of the year in June, when he was 2-1 with a 4.01 ERA, but he hasn’t been able to improve on that this month, with his ERA staying above 4.00 since May 25.
The lefty’s struggles continued in his last outing, when he allowed six runs on seven hits in only four innings against the White Sox on July 17. He left the game in the fourth inning after only throwing 91 pitches.
The 28-year-old has great career numbers vs. the Blue Jays, with an 11-5 record and a 3.20 ERA in 20 starts. He’s 1-1 this season against the AL East rivals. He got the victory against Toronto after going seven innings and allowing four runs on June 27.
On the mound for the Blue Jays will be Henderson Alvarez, a second-year starter from Venezuela.
Alvarez, like Lester, is 5-7, but he has a better ERA at 4.29. He started off the season with a quality April and May, with his ERA on May 15 at an impressive 2.62. But after a brutal June in which his ERA was 5.20, Alvarez’s ERA has evened out. He has eclipsed 100 pitches in five of his 18 starts.
The Venezuelan had a solid start against the Yankees on July 16, going six innings and allowing only two runs, but he could not get the decision as the bullpen let up four runs in a 6-3 loss. His 105 pitches marked his second-highest pitch count of the season.
The 22-year-old is 1-1 with a 3.09 ERA in four starts against the Red Sox in his career, including three starts this season in which he’s 1-1 with a 4.15 ERA. Since Alvarez is only in his second year, the Red Sox lineup is still figuring him out as only two batters have more than 10 at-bats vs. him. Ryan Sweeney has had success against Alvarez, going 4-for-10.
Blue Jays vs. Lester (LHP)
Yunel Escobar (26 plate appearances): .273 BA/.346 OBP/.273 SLG, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
Adam Lind (25): .125/.160/.167, 1 double, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts
J.P. Arencibia (22): .200/.273/.350, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 11 strikeouts
Edwin Encarnacion (22): .150/.227/.350, 1 double, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
Rajai Davis (20): .158/.200/.368, 2 triples, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
Kelly Johnson (10): .000/.200/.000, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Brett Lawrie (10): .111/.200/.222, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jeff Mathis (9): .222/.222/.333, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Travis Snider (8): .000/.000/.000, 5 strikeouts
Omar Vizquel (6): .400/.500/.400, 1 walk
Colby Rasmus (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Red Sox vs. Alvarez
Adrian Gonzalez (11 plate apperances): .300 BA/.364 OBP/.400 SLG, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Ryan Sweeney (11): .400/.455/.700, 3 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Dustin Pedroia (9): .333/.333/.889, 1 triple, 1 home run, 1 RBI
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (8): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (6): .167/.167/.333, 1 double
Daniel Nava (6): .333/.333/.500, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Mike Aviles (5): .200/.200/.200, 2 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (5): .000/.000/.000
Nick Punto (4): .000/.000/.000
Cody Ross (4): .500/.500/.750, 1 double
Carl Crawford (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller