|Trade Deadline: Braves, Nationals, Cardinals are reportedly favorites to land Cubs P Ryan Dempster||07.22.12 at 7:20 am ET|
CBSSports.com Insider Jon Heyman reported Saturday that the Braves, Nationals and Cardinals are in the lead to land one of the most prized possessions of the 2012 trade deadline, Cubs starter Ryan Dempster.
Heyman’s sources say that the Dodgers are looking for pitching prospects in any deal, especially pitchers that are close to playing in the majors. The Braves are believed to have the best pitching prospects of the three, but Heyman says the Cardinals and Nationals have some solid minor leaguers as well.
The Dodgers were rumored to be apart of the chase for Dempster, but Ken Rosenthal has reported that it is unlikely to see him in a Dodgers uniform. Detroit was another team that Heyman said was involved with talks on Friday.
Dempster, 35, is 5-4 with a 2.11 ERA and he recently had a 33-inning scoreless streak broken on Friday. He also has the power to veto a trade.
- Red Sox ink veteran lefty Rafael Perez to minor league deal
- Cup of Coffee: Vazquez nearly hits for cycle in Portland’s walk-off win
- Players of the Week, May 13-19: Mookie Betts and Matt Price
- Cup of Coffee: Montas strikes out eight in Greenville loss
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #34
- ESPNBoston: De La Rosa finding his way in Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Bradley, Holt shine in PawSox loss
- Xander Bogaerts, Portland to headline Futures at Fenway
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: Matt Barnes
- Cup of Coffee: Henry, Diaz propel Pawtucket to blowout victory