Trade Deadline: Twins said to be unlikely to trade LF Josh Willingham
|07.23.12 at 11:30 am ET|
Despite being 15 games under .500, the Twins appear unlikely to be willing to deal their most valuable trade chip.
The 33-year-old slugger is hitting .275, with a .389 on-base percentage, 23 home runs and 68 RBIs. Only six players in the AL have more home runs than Willingham, only seven have more walks, and only Miguel Cabrera and Josh Hamilton have more RBIs. Minnesota signed Willingham to a three-year, $21 million contract in the offseason.
According to Mackey and Wolfson’s sources, given Willingham’s outstanding production and team-friendly contract, it would take a lopsided offer to motivate the Twins to part ways with the slugger.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Ian Cundall
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Matt Huegel
- Sox have seventh pick in draft
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Chris Hatfield
- SoxProspects.com 2014 season-end award winners
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #64: Playing Out the Stretch
- Weekly Notes: Prospects flock to Boston
- 2014 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game