Trade Deadline: Twins said to be unlikely to trade LF Josh Willingham
|07.23.12 at 11:30 am ET|
Despite being 15 games under .500, the Twins appear unlikely to be willing to deal their most valuable trade chip.
The 33-year-old slugger is hitting .275, with a .389 on-base percentage, 23 home runs and 68 RBIs. Only six players in the AL have more home runs than Willingham, only seven have more walks, and only Miguel Cabrera and Josh Hamilton have more RBIs. Minnesota signed Willingham to a three-year, $21 million contract in the offseason.
According to Mackey and Wolfson’s sources, given Willingham’s outstanding production and team-friendly contract, it would take a lopsided offer to motivate the Twins to part ways with the slugger.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo