Trade Deadline: Twins said to be unlikely to trade LF Josh Willingham
|07.23.12 at 11:30 am ET|
Despite being 15 games under .500, the Twins appear unlikely to be willing to deal their most valuable trade chip.
The 33-year-old slugger is hitting .275, with a .389 on-base percentage, 23 home runs and 68 RBIs. Only six players in the AL have more home runs than Willingham, only seven have more walks, and only Miguel Cabrera and Josh Hamilton have more RBIs. Minnesota signed Willingham to a three-year, $21 million contract in the offseason.
According to Mackey and Wolfson’s sources, given Willingham’s outstanding production and team-friendly contract, it would take a lopsided offer to motivate the Twins to part ways with the slugger.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa