Carl Crawford wouldn’t mind if Matt Garza became a Red Sox
|07.24.12 at 11:03 am ET|
Carl Crawford makes it perfectly clear.
‘I’m not going to play GM,’ said the Red Sox outfielder.
But with the rumors circulating about the potential of one of his former Rays’ teammates, Matt Garza, coming to Boston, Crawford was open to giving his analysis of the pitcher.
‘When I played with him in Tampa he was one of those highly competitive guys. With that rotation down there, they all fed off each other,’ he said. ‘He’s a guy that hates to lose. He’s really intense, and he’s got great stuff.’
Then there is the question regarding how Garza would fit in Boston.
For his career, the 28-year-old righty has compiled a 23-15 mark with a 3.34 ERA against the American League East. In five postseason games, Garza has totaled a 3.48 ERA with his team going 3-2 in those starts.
Included in Garza’a postseason resume is his Game 7 win in the 2008 American League Championship Series against the Red Sox, in which he allowed just one run on two hits over seven innings.
‘I definitely felt comfortable behind him in the big game,’ Crawford said.
Garza, who is likely to miss his next start with triceps soreness, has been reportedly drawn interest from numerous teams, with the Dodgers perhaps displaying the most interest.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers