Carl Crawford wouldn’t mind if Matt Garza became a Red Sox
|07.24.12 at 11:03 am ET|
Carl Crawford makes it perfectly clear.
‘I’m not going to play GM,’ said the Red Sox outfielder.
But with the rumors circulating about the potential of one of his former Rays’ teammates, Matt Garza, coming to Boston, Crawford was open to giving his analysis of the pitcher.
‘When I played with him in Tampa he was one of those highly competitive guys. With that rotation down there, they all fed off each other,’ he said. ‘He’s a guy that hates to lose. He’s really intense, and he’s got great stuff.’
Then there is the question regarding how Garza would fit in Boston.
For his career, the 28-year-old righty has compiled a 23-15 mark with a 3.34 ERA against the American League East. In five postseason games, Garza has totaled a 3.48 ERA with his team going 3-2 in those starts.
Included in Garza’a postseason resume is his Game 7 win in the 2008 American League Championship Series against the Red Sox, in which he allowed just one run on two hits over seven innings.
‘I definitely felt comfortable behind him in the big game,’ Crawford said.
Garza, who is likely to miss his next start with triceps soreness, has been reportedly drawn interest from numerous teams, with the Dodgers perhaps displaying the most interest.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles