Carl Crawford wouldn’t mind if Matt Garza became a Red Sox
|07.24.12 at 11:03 am ET|
Carl Crawford makes it perfectly clear.
‘I’m not going to play GM,’ said the Red Sox outfielder.
But with the rumors circulating about the potential of one of his former Rays’ teammates, Matt Garza, coming to Boston, Crawford was open to giving his analysis of the pitcher.
‘When I played with him in Tampa he was one of those highly competitive guys. With that rotation down there, they all fed off each other,’ he said. ‘He’s a guy that hates to lose. He’s really intense, and he’s got great stuff.’
Then there is the question regarding how Garza would fit in Boston.
For his career, the 28-year-old righty has compiled a 23-15 mark with a 3.34 ERA against the American League East. In five postseason games, Garza has totaled a 3.48 ERA with his team going 3-2 in those starts.
Included in Garza’a postseason resume is his Game 7 win in the 2008 American League Championship Series against the Red Sox, in which he allowed just one run on two hits over seven innings.
‘I definitely felt comfortable behind him in the big game,’ Crawford said.
Garza, who is likely to miss his next start with triceps soreness, has been reportedly drawn interest from numerous teams, with the Dodgers perhaps displaying the most interest.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome