Carl Crawford wouldn’t mind if Matt Garza became a Red Sox
|07.24.12 at 11:03 am ET|
Carl Crawford makes it perfectly clear.
‘I’m not going to play GM,’ said the Red Sox outfielder.
But with the rumors circulating about the potential of one of his former Rays’ teammates, Matt Garza, coming to Boston, Crawford was open to giving his analysis of the pitcher.
‘When I played with him in Tampa he was one of those highly competitive guys. With that rotation down there, they all fed off each other,’ he said. ‘He’s a guy that hates to lose. He’s really intense, and he’s got great stuff.’
Then there is the question regarding how Garza would fit in Boston.
For his career, the 28-year-old righty has compiled a 23-15 mark with a 3.34 ERA against the American League East. In five postseason games, Garza has totaled a 3.48 ERA with his team going 3-2 in those starts.
Included in Garza’a postseason resume is his Game 7 win in the 2008 American League Championship Series against the Red Sox, in which he allowed just one run on two hits over seven innings.
‘I definitely felt comfortable behind him in the big game,’ Crawford said.
Garza, who is likely to miss his next start with triceps soreness, has been reportedly drawn interest from numerous teams, with the Dodgers perhaps displaying the most interest.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.