Trade Deadline: Justin Upton to remain a member of the Diamondbacks
|07.24.12 at 3:24 pm ET|
After weeks of speculation, it appears Justin Upton will remain the Diamondbacks’ right fielder this season as team president Derrick Hall said Tuesday that there is ‘close to a 100 percent chance nothing happens.’
“We’ll field all proposals and conversations,’ Hall said. ‘You never know. But I would be surprised if anything happens in the offseason, either.”
Upton, who finished last season fourth in the NL MVP voting after hitting .289 with 31 home runs, was the subject of many trade rumors since before the All-Star break when the Diamondbacks were listening to trade offers for him.
The 2005 first-overall selection struggled at the beginning of this season but has been heating up lately, hitting .417 in his last seven games to improve his average to .276.
Upton was rumored to have interested teams such as the Blue Jays, Pirates, Tigers, Braves, and the Rangers. The Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs and Indians were all blocked from trading for Upton thanks to a clause in the 24-year-old’s six-year, $51.25 million contract extension he signed in 2010.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins