Trade Deadline: Padres holding on to starter Edinson Volquez
|07.24.12 at 3:25 pm ET|
Potential trade target Edinson Volquez likely will remain with the Padres after drawing some significant interest around the league, according to CBSSports.com baseball insider Jon Heyman.
MLB.com’s Mark Bowman had reported that Volquez had drawn interest from the Braves along with Zach Greinke, Matt Garza and Ryan Dempster. Dempster had reportedly been dealt to the Braves on Tuesday, but the deal has been held up due to Dempster’s desire to be traded to the Dodgers, according to Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com.
Volquez, who is 6-7 on the season with a 3.34 ERA, is coming off a complete-game one-hit shutout against the Astros last Thursday. The 29-year-old righty has recorded 109 strikeouts on the season.
Carlos Quentin and Volquez were both rumored to be traded from the Padres before the deadline, but Quentin signed a three-year, $27 million contract extension on Sunday.
After spending fewer than 10 games per season with the Rangers in each of his first three seasons in the season, Volquez was traded to the Reds along with reliever Danny Herrera for Josh Hamilton. In his first year with Cincinnati, Volquez went 17-6 with a 3.21 ERA while being named an All-Star for the only time in his career.
However, Volquez’s frequent injuries have hindered his career, and he became part of the Reds’ trade package for Mat Latos.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants