Trade Deadline: Padres holding on to starter Edinson Volquez
|07.24.12 at 3:25 pm ET|
Potential trade target Edinson Volquez likely will remain with the Padres after drawing some significant interest around the league, according to CBSSports.com baseball insider Jon Heyman.
MLB.com’s Mark Bowman had reported that Volquez had drawn interest from the Braves along with Zach Greinke, Matt Garza and Ryan Dempster. Dempster had reportedly been dealt to the Braves on Tuesday, but the deal has been held up due to Dempster’s desire to be traded to the Dodgers, according to Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com.
Volquez, who is 6-7 on the season with a 3.34 ERA, is coming off a complete-game one-hit shutout against the Astros last Thursday. The 29-year-old righty has recorded 109 strikeouts on the season.
Carlos Quentin and Volquez were both rumored to be traded from the Padres before the deadline, but Quentin signed a three-year, $27 million contract extension on Sunday.
After spending fewer than 10 games per season with the Rangers in each of his first three seasons in the season, Volquez was traded to the Reds along with reliever Danny Herrera for Josh Hamilton. In his first year with Cincinnati, Volquez went 17-6 with a 3.21 ERA while being named an All-Star for the only time in his career.
However, Volquez’s frequent injuries have hindered his career, and he became part of the Reds’ trade package for Mat Latos.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs