Trade Deadline: Padres holding on to starter Edinson Volquez
|07.24.12 at 3:25 pm ET|
Potential trade target Edinson Volquez likely will remain with the Padres after drawing some significant interest around the league, according to CBSSports.com baseball insider Jon Heyman.
MLB.com’s Mark Bowman had reported that Volquez had drawn interest from the Braves along with Zach Greinke, Matt Garza and Ryan Dempster. Dempster had reportedly been dealt to the Braves on Tuesday, but the deal has been held up due to Dempster’s desire to be traded to the Dodgers, according to Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com.
Volquez, who is 6-7 on the season with a 3.34 ERA, is coming off a complete-game one-hit shutout against the Astros last Thursday. The 29-year-old righty has recorded 109 strikeouts on the season.
Carlos Quentin and Volquez were both rumored to be traded from the Padres before the deadline, but Quentin signed a three-year, $27 million contract extension on Sunday.
After spending fewer than 10 games per season with the Rangers in each of his first three seasons in the season, Volquez was traded to the Reds along with reliever Danny Herrera for Josh Hamilton. In his first year with Cincinnati, Volquez went 17-6 with a 3.21 ERA while being named an All-Star for the only time in his career.
However, Volquez’s frequent injuries have hindered his career, and he became part of the Reds’ trade package for Mat Latos.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies