Trade Deadline: Report: Marlins ‘never been more open’ to idea of trading Hanley Ramirez
|07.24.12 at 10:52 am ET|
The Marlins, one day after making a trade that shook up their roster and one week after reportedly trying to ship Hanley Ramirez to Boston, are still trying to trade the All-Star shortstop, according to CBS Sports baseball insider Scott Miller.
The Marlins, during a much-hyped season in which they relocated to Miami andbuilt a new stadium and signed big names like Jose Reyes, suddenly have turned into sellers after starting the season 45-51, good for fourth place in the NL East. On Monday, the team traded away Omar Infante and Anibal Sanchez for a trio of prospects.
Now, Miller says, the Marlins have ‘never been more open’ to the idea of trading Ramirez as the trade deadline approaches one week from Tuesday. Ramirez, who is currently out of the lineup with an infection in his right hand after hitting it with a dugout cooling fan before the All-Star break, is having one of his worst seasons since arriving to Florida in 2006.
The former NL MVP candidate is hitting .246 with 14 home runs, 47 RBIs and 14 steals this season. Ramirez is signed through 2014 and will make $15.5 million in 2013 and $16 million in 2014.
Ramirez isn’t the only name that’s circulating the rumor mill. Josh Johnson was reportedly scouted heavily in his start on Monday night. But, according to sources close with Miller, the Marlins are likely to hang on to the right-handed pitcher for now. Johnson is 6-7 with a 4.14 ERA and 105 punchouts so far in 2012.
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports wrote on Tuesday that Marlins closer Heath Bell also figures to be part of trade talks in the next week. Bell, who reportedly was part of the Marlins’ proposed deal for outfielder Carl Crawford last week, was signed to a three-year deal this offseason and the Marlins likely would need to pay off most of that contract if they were to ship him.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo