Trade Deadline: Report: Marlins ‘never been more open’ to idea of trading Hanley Ramirez
|07.24.12 at 10:52 am ET|
The Marlins, one day after making a trade that shook up their roster and one week after reportedly trying to ship Hanley Ramirez to Boston, are still trying to trade the All-Star shortstop, according to CBS Sports baseball insider Scott Miller.
The Marlins, during a much-hyped season in which they relocated to Miami andbuilt a new stadium and signed big names like Jose Reyes, suddenly have turned into sellers after starting the season 45-51, good for fourth place in the NL East. On Monday, the team traded away Omar Infante and Anibal Sanchez for a trio of prospects.
Now, Miller says, the Marlins have “never been more open” to the idea of trading Ramirez as the trade deadline approaches one week from Tuesday. Ramirez, who is currently out of the lineup with an infection in his right hand after hitting it with a dugout cooling fan before the All-Star break, is having one of his worst seasons since arriving to Florida in 2006.
The former NL MVP candidate is hitting .246 with 14 home runs, 47 RBIs and 14 steals this season. Ramirez is signed through 2014 and will make $15.5 million in 2013 and $16 million in 2014.
Ramirez isn’t the only name that’s circulating the rumor mill. Josh Johnson was reportedly scouted heavily in his start on Monday night. But, according to sources close with Miller, the Marlins are likely to hang on to the right-handed pitcher for now. Johnson is 6-7 with a 4.14 ERA and 105 punchouts so far in 2012.
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports wrote on Tuesday that Marlins closer Heath Bell also figures to be part of trade talks in the next week. Bell, who reportedly was part of the Marlins’ proposed deal for outfielder Carl Crawford last week, was signed to a three-year deal this offseason and the Marlins likely would need to pay off most of that contract if they were to ship him.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- ESPNBoston: SoxProspects covering the Trade Deadline
- Red Sox trade Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
- Red Sox send Lackey. Littrell, and cash to Cardinals for Joe Kelly, Allen Craig
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart