Tuesday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Martin Perez
|07.24.12 at 1:24 pm ET|
Buchholz has a stellar record of 8-3 despite an unimpressive 5.19 ERA this season. He only has six quality starts, but he has been the beneficiary of an average run support above seven in his eight wins. Coming off a phenomenal June, when he was 4-0 with a 2.40 ERA, he’s trying to continue that success in July. Buchholz was placed on the 15-day DL on June 25 with a gastrointestinal issue that he returned from on July 14.
The righty had another great outing on July 19 vs. the White Sox when he went eight innings, allowing only one run. However, he could not get the decision as he left after the eighth trailing 1-0 before Cody Ross hit a three-run walk-off home run in the ninth.
Despite having a solid career ERA of 3.91 in four starts against Texas, Buchholz has a poor record of 1-3. The 27-year-old has nightmarish numbers in Rangers Ballpark with a 6.10 ERA in two outings there. The Rangers lineup isn’t overly familiar with Buchholz, as only three hitters have double-digit at-bats vs. him. Mike Napoli and Michael Young are both 3-for-10 against him in their careers.
With Colby Lewis now requiring season-ending surgery, the Rangers will have highly-regarded 21-year-old left-hander Martin Perez oppose Buchholz.
Perez is 1-1 with a 5.54 ERA in four big league appearances this year (two as a starter, two as a reliever) with nine strikeouts and six walks in 13 innings. He has never faced a member of the Red Sox in the majors.
Rangers vs. Buchholz
Josh Hamilton (12 plate appearances): .083 BA/.083 OBP/.167 SLG, 1 double, 5 strikeouts
Michael Young (12): .300/.417/.400, 1 double, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (11): .300/.364/.600, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Ian Kinsler (9): .333/.556/1.333, 2 home runs, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
David Murphy (9): .667/.667/1.111, 1 double, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Nelson Cruz (8): .571/.625/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Adrian Beltre (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Elvis Andrus (5): .200/.200/.200, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Alberto Gonzalez (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday
- Cup of Coffee: Witte nearly hits for the cycle, Devers strong for Greenville