Tuesday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Martin Perez
|07.24.12 at 1:24 pm ET|
Buchholz has a stellar record of 8-3 despite an unimpressive 5.19 ERA this season. He only has six quality starts, but he has been the beneficiary of an average run support above seven in his eight wins. Coming off a phenomenal June, when he was 4-0 with a 2.40 ERA, he’s trying to continue that success in July. Buchholz was placed on the 15-day DL on June 25 with a gastrointestinal issue that he returned from on July 14.
The righty had another great outing on July 19 vs. the White Sox when he went eight innings, allowing only one run. However, he could not get the decision as he left after the eighth trailing 1-0 before Cody Ross hit a three-run walk-off home run in the ninth.
Despite having a solid career ERA of 3.91 in four starts against Texas, Buchholz has a poor record of 1-3. The 27-year-old has nightmarish numbers in Rangers Ballpark with a 6.10 ERA in two outings there. The Rangers lineup isn’t overly familiar with Buchholz, as only three hitters have double-digit at-bats vs. him. Mike Napoli and Michael Young are both 3-for-10 against him in their careers.
With Colby Lewis now requiring season-ending surgery, the Rangers will have highly-regarded 21-year-old left-hander Martin Perez oppose Buchholz.
Perez is 1-1 with a 5.54 ERA in four big league appearances this year (two as a starter, two as a reliever) with nine strikeouts and six walks in 13 innings. He has never faced a member of the Red Sox in the majors.
Rangers vs. Buchholz
Josh Hamilton (12 plate appearances): .083 BA/.083 OBP/.167 SLG, 1 double, 5 strikeouts
Michael Young (12): .300/.417/.400, 1 double, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (11): .300/.364/.600, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Ian Kinsler (9): .333/.556/1.333, 2 home runs, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
David Murphy (9): .667/.667/1.111, 1 double, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Nelson Cruz (8): .571/.625/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Adrian Beltre (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Elvis Andrus (5): .200/.200/.200, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Alberto Gonzalez (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers