Tuesday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Martin Perez
|07.24.12 at 1:24 pm ET|
Buchholz has a stellar record of 8-3 despite an unimpressive 5.19 ERA this season. He only has six quality starts, but he has been the beneficiary of an average run support above seven in his eight wins. Coming off a phenomenal June, when he was 4-0 with a 2.40 ERA, he’s trying to continue that success in July. Buchholz was placed on the 15-day DL on June 25 with a gastrointestinal issue that he returned from on July 14.
The righty had another great outing on July 19 vs. the White Sox when he went eight innings, allowing only one run. However, he could not get the decision as he left after the eighth trailing 1-0 before Cody Ross hit a three-run walk-off home run in the ninth.
Despite having a solid career ERA of 3.91 in four starts against Texas, Buchholz has a poor record of 1-3. The 27-year-old has nightmarish numbers in Rangers Ballpark with a 6.10 ERA in two outings there. The Rangers lineup isn’t overly familiar with Buchholz, as only three hitters have double-digit at-bats vs. him. Mike Napoli and Michael Young are both 3-for-10 against him in their careers.
With Colby Lewis now requiring season-ending surgery, the Rangers will have highly-regarded 21-year-old left-hander Martin Perez oppose Buchholz.
Perez is 1-1 with a 5.54 ERA in four big league appearances this year (two as a starter, two as a reliever) with nine strikeouts and six walks in 13 innings. He has never faced a member of the Red Sox in the majors.
Rangers vs. Buchholz
Josh Hamilton (12 plate appearances): .083 BA/.083 OBP/.167 SLG, 1 double, 5 strikeouts
Michael Young (12): .300/.417/.400, 1 double, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (11): .300/.364/.600, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Ian Kinsler (9): .333/.556/1.333, 2 home runs, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
David Murphy (9): .667/.667/1.111, 1 double, 1 home run, 2 RBIs
Nelson Cruz (8): .571/.625/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Adrian Beltre (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Elvis Andrus (5): .200/.200/.200, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Alberto Gonzalez (2): .000/.500/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists