Trade Deadline: Pirates acquire Wandy Rodriguez
|07.25.12 at 8:20 am ET|
After losing to the Cubs on Tuesday night, the Pirates acquired starting pitcher Wandy Rodriguez from the Astros in exchange for three minor leaguers.
The 33-year-old’s addition is a needed boost for the Pirates, who are 2½ games out of the NL Central Division lead. Prior to trading for Rodriguez the Pirates were using a four-man rotation that featured A.J Burnett, James McDonald, Kevin Correia and Erik Bedard.
In 21 starts this season Rodriguez is 7-9 with a 3.79 ERA. He has lost his last three starts. Rodriguez has not pitched a complete game this season but he has thrown for eight innings in two starts.
The Pirates’ pitching staff ranks 21st in the league in terms of quality starts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis