Trade Deadline: Pirates acquire Wandy Rodriguez
|07.25.12 at 8:20 am ET|
After losing to the Cubs on Tuesday night, the Pirates acquired starting pitcher Wandy Rodriguez from the Astros in exchange for three minor leaguers.
The 33-year-old’s addition is a needed boost for the Pirates, who are 2½ games out of the NL Central Division lead. Prior to trading for Rodriguez the Pirates were using a four-man rotation that featured A.J Burnett, James McDonald, Kevin Correia and Erik Bedard.
In 21 starts this season Rodriguez is 7-9 with a 3.79 ERA. He has lost his last three starts. Rodriguez has not pitched a complete game this season but he has thrown for eight innings in two starts.
The Pirates’ pitching staff ranks 21st in the league in terms of quality starts.
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox 40-man roster additions expected