Trade Deadline: Pirates acquire Wandy Rodriguez
|07.25.12 at 8:20 am ET|
After losing to the Cubs on Tuesday night, the Pirates acquired starting pitcher Wandy Rodriguez from the Astros in exchange for three minor leaguers.
The 33-year-old’s addition is a needed boost for the Pirates, who are 2½ games out of the NL Central Division lead. Prior to trading for Rodriguez the Pirates were using a four-man rotation that featured A.J Burnett, James McDonald, Kevin Correia and Erik Bedard.
In 21 starts this season Rodriguez is 7-9 with a 3.79 ERA. He has lost his last three starts. Rodriguez has not pitched a complete game this season but he has thrown for eight innings in two starts.
The Pirates’ pitching staff ranks 21st in the league in terms of quality starts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Eduardo Rodriguez to be recalled for Thursday start
- Cup of Coffee: Roof and Tekotte go back-to-back in Portland win
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Stankiewicz fires eight-inning gem to lead Salem
- Weekly Notes: The Yoan Moncada era begins
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker