Trade Deadline: Pirates acquire Wandy Rodriguez
|07.25.12 at 8:20 am ET|
After losing to the Cubs on Tuesday night, the Pirates acquired starting pitcher Wandy Rodriguez from the Astros in exchange for three minor leaguers.
The 33-year-old’s addition is a needed boost for the Pirates, who are 2½ games out of the NL Central Division lead. Prior to trading for Rodriguez the Pirates were using a four-man rotation that featured A.J Burnett, James McDonald, Kevin Correia and Erik Bedard.
In 21 starts this season Rodriguez is 7-9 with a 3.79 ERA. He has lost his last three starts. Rodriguez has not pitched a complete game this season but he has thrown for eight innings in two starts.
The Pirates’ pitching staff ranks 21st in the league in terms of quality starts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers