Trade Deadline: Pirates acquire Wandy Rodriguez
|07.25.12 at 8:20 am ET|
After losing to the Cubs on Tuesday night, the Pirates acquired starting pitcher Wandy Rodriguez from the Astros in exchange for three minor leaguers.
The 33-year-old’s addition is a needed boost for the Pirates, who are 2½ games out of the NL Central Division lead. Prior to trading for Rodriguez the Pirates were using a four-man rotation that featured A.J Burnett, James McDonald, Kevin Correia and Erik Bedard.
In 21 starts this season Rodriguez is 7-9 with a 3.79 ERA. He has lost his last three starts. Rodriguez has not pitched a complete game this season but he has thrown for eight innings in two starts.
The Pirates’ pitching staff ranks 21st in the league in terms of quality starts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals