Trade Deadline: Red Sox were interested in trading for, flipping Hanley Ramirez
|07.25.12 at 5:13 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox did have some conversations in recent days with the Marlins about acquiring infielder Hanley Ramirez, but the team’s interest was chiefly in the possibility of shipping the 28-year-old elsewhere in order to address areas of need.
The Sox did feel that the former NL batting champion, Rookie of the Year and MVP runner-up could benefit from a change of scenery. However, given that Ramirez is no longer viewed as a viable defensive shortstop and that the Sox have committed to Will Middlebrooks at third base, the one-time Sox prospect (traded in 2005 as the centerpiece of the package that netted Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell) represented what the source deemed an “awkward fit” for the Red Sox right now, thus limiting their interest in him to the possibility of acquiring him and sending him elsewhere.
Ramirez is hitting .246 with a .322 OBP, a .430 slugging mark, a .752 OPS, 14 homers and 14 steals this season. There have been concerns about his effort level and commitment, with suggestions that his mediocre performance has been a reflection of some of the same attitude concerns that have trailed Ramirez since he was a teenager in the Red Sox system.
The Marlins reportedly shipped him (and the remainder of the roughly $37 million he’s owed on his six-year, $70 million deal) and left-hander Randy Choate early on Wednesday morning to the Dodgers for Nathan Eovaldi and minor leaguer Scott McGough.
For complete Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?