Wednesday’s Red Sox matchups: Josh Beckett vs. Derek Holland
|07.25.12 at 9:33 am ET|
Like Jon Lester, Beckett has had a disappointing season, entering Wednesday’s game with a 5-8 record and 4.53 ERA in 16 starts this season. Before his win against the Rays on July 15, Beckett’s last victory came on May 20 against the Phillies.
The key for Beckett in the game will be to get out of the first inning unscathed. The 32-year-old right-hander has a 10.69 ERA in first innings this year and has allowed first-inning runs in each of his past three starts, including a five-run first inning against the Yankees on July 6.
Josh Hamilton has crushed Beckett throughout his career, recording two homers and a .471 batting average in 19 at-bats against the Red Sox righty.
Beckett will be matched up against Derek Holland, who defeated him 6-3 earlier this season at Fenway Park. In that game, Holland struck out seven while only allowing four hits to earn his second win of the season.
Holland is 6-5 with a 4.84 ERA, coming off a loss to the Angels on Friday. Holland, who allowed two home runs in the loss, has given up 14 homers on the year.
While the 25-year-old lefty has dominated most of the Red Sox lineup in his career, a surprising good matchup for the Red Sox is Nick Punto, who has a 1.000 slugging percentage in his six career at-bats against Holland.Red Sox vs. Holland (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (11 plate appearances): .091 BA/.091 OBP/.091 SLG, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Kelly Shoppach (11): .125/.364/.250, 1 double, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (10): .375/.500/.500, 1 double, 2 walks
Carl Crawford (9): .286/.444/.429, 1 double, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Adrian Gonzalez (9): .111/.111/.111, 3 strikeouts
Mike Aviles (7): .200/.429/.200, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Nick Punto (6): .500/.500/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Ryan Sweeney (5): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Cody Ross (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Rangers vs. Beckett (RHP)
Adrian Beltre (27 plate appearances): .192 BA/.222 OBP/.231 SLG, 1 double, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts
Michael Young (26): .167/.192/.292, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Josh Hamilton (19): .471/.526/.824, 2 home runs, 7 RBIs, 3 strikeouts
Elvis Andrus (16): .231/.333/.231, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (16): .267/.313/.733, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Ian Kinsler (13): .167/.231/.333, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Nelson Cruz (12): .091/.167/.091, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
David Murphy (11): .444/.455/.778, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 RBI
Yorvit Torrealba (10): .400/.400/.400
Brandon Snyder (3): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Alberto Gonzalez (2): .500/.500/.500
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller