Wednesday’s Red Sox matchups: Josh Beckett vs. Derek Holland
|07.25.12 at 9:33 am ET|
Like Jon Lester, Beckett has had a disappointing season, entering Wednesday’s game with a 5-8 record and 4.53 ERA in 16 starts this season. Before his win against the Rays on July 15, Beckett’s last victory came on May 20 against the Phillies.
The key for Beckett in the game will be to get out of the first inning unscathed. The 32-year-old right-hander has a 10.69 ERA in first innings this year and has allowed first-inning runs in each of his past three starts, including a five-run first inning against the Yankees on July 6.
Josh Hamilton has crushed Beckett throughout his career, recording two homers and a .471 batting average in 19 at-bats against the Red Sox righty.
Beckett will be matched up against Derek Holland, who defeated him 6-3 earlier this season at Fenway Park. In that game, Holland struck out seven while only allowing four hits to earn his second win of the season.
Holland is 6-5 with a 4.84 ERA, coming off a loss to the Angels on Friday. Holland, who allowed two home runs in the loss, has given up 14 homers on the year.
While the 25-year-old lefty has dominated most of the Red Sox lineup in his career, a surprising good matchup for the Red Sox is Nick Punto, who has a 1.000 slugging percentage in his six career at-bats against Holland.Red Sox vs. Holland (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (11 plate appearances): .091 BA/.091 OBP/.091 SLG, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Kelly Shoppach (11): .125/.364/.250, 1 double, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (10): .375/.500/.500, 1 double, 2 walks
Carl Crawford (9): .286/.444/.429, 1 double, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Adrian Gonzalez (9): .111/.111/.111, 3 strikeouts
Mike Aviles (7): .200/.429/.200, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Nick Punto (6): .500/.500/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Ryan Sweeney (5): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Cody Ross (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Rangers vs. Beckett (RHP)
Adrian Beltre (27 plate appearances): .192 BA/.222 OBP/.231 SLG, 1 double, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts
Michael Young (26): .167/.192/.292, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Josh Hamilton (19): .471/.526/.824, 2 home runs, 7 RBIs, 3 strikeouts
Elvis Andrus (16): .231/.333/.231, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (16): .267/.313/.733, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Ian Kinsler (13): .167/.231/.333, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Nelson Cruz (12): .091/.167/.091, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
David Murphy (11): .444/.455/.778, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 RBI
Yorvit Torrealba (10): .400/.400/.400
Brandon Snyder (3): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Alberto Gonzalez (2): .500/.500/.500
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles