Trade Deadline: Former Red Sox Marco Scutaro most likely Rockies player to be dealt
|07.26.12 at 4:53 pm ET|
The report states that the Nationals — who recently lost Ian Desmond for a month — and the Rays were among the teams in attendance at Chase Field scouting Scutaro. The 36-year-old infielder has $2.3 million remaining on his current deal, which runs out at the end of this season.
Scutaro has primarily played at second base for the Rockies (71 games), while manning shortstop for 27 games. He is hitting .271 with a .684 OPS, also totaling four homers and seven stolen bases. The infielder’s best month came in June, when he hit .337.
The Red Sox dealt Scutaro last offseason for pitcher Clayton Mortensen, in part to free up money to sign free agent outfielder Cody Ross.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Playoff baseball begins for affiliates, Castillo continues ascent
- Cup of Coffee: Portland's season comes to an end
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #63: Just Sayin' Hi
- Cup of Coffee: Portland falls, forces Game Five
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox advance to International League finals
- Cup of Coffee: Cecchini and Barnes lead PawSox to 2-0 series edge
- Edwin Escobar impresses with dazzling playoff performance
- Cup of Coffee: Extra inning victories kick off playoff action