Trade Deadline: Brewers say they will trade Zack Greinke by Tuesday
|07.27.12 at 9:10 am ET|
“I’m very fond of him,” Melvin told USA Today reporter Bob Nightengale. “He’s one of my favorite players I ever had. Really, he’s been like a son to me. I enjoyed talking baseball with him. He’s very passionate. He follows the game. It’s been a great experience having him for a year and a half.
“There are so many good things about him, it’s going to be difficult when we trade him.”
The Brewers reportedly made the decision to deal Greinke, who is 9-3 with a 3.44 ERA this season, after the team went winless in its last road trip.
Greinke is the top pitcher remaining on the trade market now that the Phillies signed Cole Hamels to a contract extension on Tuesday. The starter has already interested a number of playoff contenders, including the Rangers, Braves, White Sox, Angels, and Dodgers.
The former Royals starter battled a social anxiety disorder that kept him out for most of the 2006 season, making him a risk for a big market like New York, Boston or Chicago. However, Melvin said that Greinke has not shown any signs of relapses or complications and that he does not see why he could not pitch in a large market.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler