Trade Deadline: Brewers say they will trade Zack Greinke by Tuesday
|07.27.12 at 9:10 am ET|
According to Brewers general manager Doug Melvin, Zack Greinke will be traded before Tuesday’s non-waiver deadline.
“I’m very fond of him,” Melvin told USA Today reporter Bob Nightengale. “He’s one of my favorite players I ever had. Really, he’s been like a son to me. I enjoyed talking baseball with him. He’s very passionate. He follows the game. It’s been a great experience having him for a year and a half.
“There are so many good things about him, it’s going to be difficult when we trade him.”
The Brewers reportedly made the decision to deal Greinke, who is 9-3 with a 3.44 ERA this season, after the team went winless in its last road trip.
Greinke is the top pitcher remaining on the trade market now that the Phillies signed Cole Hamels to a contract extension on Tuesday. The starter has already interested a number of playoff contenders, including the Rangers, Braves, White Sox, Angels, and Dodgers.
The former Royals starter battled a social anxiety disorder that kept him out for most of the 2006 season, making him a risk for a big market like New York, Boston or Chicago. However, Melvin said that Greinke has not shown any signs of relapses or complications and that he does not see why he could not pitch in a large market.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #62: It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Trade Deadline
- Red Sox recall Betts and Wilson; Carp designated for assignment; Travis promoted to Greenville
- Report: Owens promoted to Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Betts hits walk-off homer in day one of post-Lester era
- ESPNBoston: SoxProspects covering the Trade Deadline
- Red Sox trade Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
- Red Sox send Lackey. Littrell, and cash to Cardinals for Joe Kelly, Allen Craig
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL