Trade Deadline: Brewers say they will trade Zack Greinke by Tuesday
|07.27.12 at 9:10 am ET|
“I’m very fond of him,” Melvin told USA Today reporter Bob Nightengale. “He’s one of my favorite players I ever had. Really, he’s been like a son to me. I enjoyed talking baseball with him. He’s very passionate. He follows the game. It’s been a great experience having him for a year and a half.
“There are so many good things about him, it’s going to be difficult when we trade him.”
The Brewers reportedly made the decision to deal Greinke, who is 9-3 with a 3.44 ERA this season, after the team went winless in its last road trip.
Greinke is the top pitcher remaining on the trade market now that the Phillies signed Cole Hamels to a contract extension on Tuesday. The starter has already interested a number of playoff contenders, including the Rangers, Braves, White Sox, Angels, and Dodgers.
The former Royals starter battled a social anxiety disorder that kept him out for most of the 2006 season, making him a risk for a big market like New York, Boston or Chicago. However, Melvin said that Greinke has not shown any signs of relapses or complications and that he does not see why he could not pitch in a large market.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP