Trade Deadline: Brewers say they will trade Zack Greinke by Tuesday
|07.27.12 at 9:10 am ET|
“I’m very fond of him,” Melvin told USA Today reporter Bob Nightengale. “He’s one of my favorite players I ever had. Really, he’s been like a son to me. I enjoyed talking baseball with him. He’s very passionate. He follows the game. It’s been a great experience having him for a year and a half.
“There are so many good things about him, it’s going to be difficult when we trade him.”
The Brewers reportedly made the decision to deal Greinke, who is 9-3 with a 3.44 ERA this season, after the team went winless in its last road trip.
Greinke is the top pitcher remaining on the trade market now that the Phillies signed Cole Hamels to a contract extension on Tuesday. The starter has already interested a number of playoff contenders, including the Rangers, Braves, White Sox, Angels, and Dodgers.
The former Royals starter battled a social anxiety disorder that kept him out for most of the 2006 season, making him a risk for a big market like New York, Boston or Chicago. However, Melvin said that Greinke has not shown any signs of relapses or complications and that he does not see why he could not pitch in a large market.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game
- The Write-Up: Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Couch leads PawSox to Series win
- Cup of Coffee: Owens struggles, pushing PawSox to the brink
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket drops game two in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket takes game one of Governor's Cup
- Rusney Castillo flashes exciting potential in Triple-A debut
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes