|Trade Deadline: Matt Garza out until after trade deadline||07.27.12 at 6:55 pm ET|
Cubs starting pitcher Matt Garza will be out until after the trade deadline due to triceps cramping, manager Dale Sveum announced on Friday.
Garza, who underwent an MRI that revealed nothing other than the cramps, will not go to the DL.
“He’s doing better,” Sveum told the Chicago Tribune. “We’ll wait and see what happens with his throwing program. It’s possible (he’ll start) maybe late next week.”
The injury hurts chances that Garza, one a few sought-after pitchers on the trade market, will be traded before July 31.
The 28-year-old is 5-7 with a3.91 ERA in 18 starts this season.
- Cup of Coffee: Spring's walk-off grand slam lifts Portland
- Bradley: "Everything's back to normal"
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox, Drive produce walk-off wins
- PawSox activate Jackie Bradley, Jr. from disabled list
- Weekly Notes: De La Rosa, Betts take center stage
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw leads 18-hit attack in Sea Dogs rout
- Cup of Coffee: Gedman, big Salem seventh key system’s only win
- Christian Vazquez’s new focus at the plate starting to pay off
- Cup of Coffee: Augliera dominant in Salem victory
- Players of the Week, May 6-12: Rubby De La Rosa and Mookie Betts