Trade Deadline: Pirates P Kevin Correia on block following Wandy Rodriguez acquisition
|07.27.12 at 10:48 am ET|
With the acquisition of Wandy Rodriguez on Tuesday, the Pirates have an extra starting pitcher at their disposal and have been fielding offers for starter Kevin Correia, according to ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick.
Correia, who has won his last six decisions, is 8-6 with a 4.24 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 19 starts this season. The former Giants and Padres pitcher has been moved to the bullpen following the acquisition of Rodriguez, something he said he is not happy about.
“Starting pitching is what I want to do,” Correia told Rob Biertempfe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I think that’s best how I help the team.”
With only $1 million remaining on his contract, the 31-year-old could be an intriguing starting pitcher option for a playoff-contending team looking to bolster its rotation down the stretch.
Correia, who is from San Luis Obispo, Calif., which is midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, could be an option for a team such as the Angels as an acquisition before Tuesday’s non-waiver deadline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts