Trade Deadline: Pirates P Kevin Correia on block following Wandy Rodriguez acquisition
|07.27.12 at 10:48 am ET|
With the acquisition of Wandy Rodriguez on Tuesday, the Pirates have an extra starting pitcher at their disposal and have been fielding offers for starter Kevin Correia, according to ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick.
Correia, who has won his last six decisions, is 8-6 with a 4.24 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 19 starts this season. The former Giants and Padres pitcher has been moved to the bullpen following the acquisition of Rodriguez, something he said he is not happy about.
“Starting pitching is what I want to do,” Correia told Rob Biertempfe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I think that’s best how I help the team.”
With only $1 million remaining on his contract, the 31-year-old could be an intriguing starting pitcher option for a playoff-contending team looking to bolster its rotation down the stretch.
Correia, who is from San Luis Obispo, Calif., which is midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, could be an option for a team such as the Angels as an acquisition before Tuesday’s non-waiver deadline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Ortiz Ties Jimmie Foxx for 18th on All-Time Home Runs List
- Pedroia Has Become Forgotten Star in Red Sox's Booming Offense
- Andrew Benintendi Injury: Updates on Red Sox OF's Knee, Return
- Buchholz Can Still Play Big Part in Red Sox's Title Hopes
- Porcello's Resurgence Worth Every Penny of Extension
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- Moncada, Kopech headline seven headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Red Sox2 break out brooms; Dalbec keeps raking
- Return to past hitting mechanics fueling Bobby Dalbec's success
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and LaMarre lead the way for PawSox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson