Trade Deadline: Pirates P Kevin Correia on block following Wandy Rodriguez acquisition
|07.27.12 at 10:48 am ET|
With the acquisition of Wandy Rodriguez on Tuesday, the Pirates have an extra starting pitcher at their disposal and have been fielding offers for starter Kevin Correia, according to ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick.
Correia, who has won his last six decisions, is 8-6 with a 4.24 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 19 starts this season. The former Giants and Padres pitcher has been moved to the bullpen following the acquisition of Rodriguez, something he said he is not happy about.
“Starting pitching is what I want to do,” Correia told Rob Biertempfe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I think that’s best how I help the team.”
With only $1 million remaining on his contract, the 31-year-old could be an intriguing starting pitcher option for a playoff-contending team looking to bolster its rotation down the stretch.
Correia, who is from San Luis Obispo, Calif., which is midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, could be an option for a team such as the Angels as an acquisition before Tuesday’s non-waiver deadline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes