Trade Deadline: Pirates P Kevin Correia on block following Wandy Rodriguez acquisition
|07.27.12 at 10:48 am ET|
With the acquisition of Wandy Rodriguez on Tuesday, the Pirates have an extra starting pitcher at their disposal and have been fielding offers for starter Kevin Correia, according to ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick.
Correia, who has won his last six decisions, is 8-6 with a 4.24 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 19 starts this season. The former Giants and Padres pitcher has been moved to the bullpen following the acquisition of Rodriguez, something he said he is not happy about.
“Starting pitching is what I want to do,” Correia told Rob Biertempfe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I think that’s best how I help the team.”
With only $1 million remaining on his contract, the 31-year-old could be an intriguing starting pitcher option for a playoff-contending team looking to bolster its rotation down the stretch.
Correia, who is from San Luis Obispo, Calif., which is midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, could be an option for a team such as the Angels as an acquisition before Tuesday’s non-waiver deadline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs
- Cup of Coffee: Kelly eyes return to Boston with 10 strikeouts