|Trade Deadline: Zack Greinke traded to Angels||07.27.12 at 8:12 pm ET|
According to FoxSports.com, Brewers ace pitcher Zack Greinke has been traded to the Angels for top infield prospect Jean Segura and two Double-A pitchers, Ariel Pena and John Hellweg.
The 28-year-old Greinke, who will be eligible to become a free agent at the end of the season, was 9-3 with a 3.44 ERA in 21 starts with the Brewers. He is coming off a 2011 season in which the righty went 16-6 with a 3.83 ERA. Greinke had joined Milwaukee prior to the ’11 season, moving over from Kansas City in exchange for Lorenzo Cain, Alcides Escobar, Jake Odorizzi and Jeremy Jeffress.
Greinke is in the midst of a four-year, $38 million deal that is paying him $13.5 million for the ’12 season.
The 22-year-old Segura, a shortstop, was ranked by Baseball America as baseball’s 55th-ranked prospect. He was hitting .294 with a .749 OPS and 33 stolen bases for the Double-A Arkansas Travelers.
MLB Trade Rumors writes regarding the two pitchers:
Pena, 23, has a 3.37 ERA, an 8.9 K/9 rate and a 2.2 K/BB rate in 111 games (103 of them starts) over six seasons in the Angels’ system. Hellweg, also 23, was a 16th-round pick for the Angels in the 2008 amateur draft. He has a 3.66 ERA and a 9.6 K/9 rate in 127 minor league games (38 starts) though control has been an issue, as Hellweg has a career 6.4 BB/9 rate.
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox, Drive produce walk-off wins
- PawSox activate Jackie Bradley, Jr. from disabled list
- Weekly Notes: De La Rosa, Betts take center stage
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw leads 18-hit attack in Sea Dogs rout
- Cup of Coffee: Gedman, big Salem seventh key system’s only win
- Christian Vazquez’s new focus at the plate starting to pay off
- Cup of Coffee: Augliera dominant in Salem victory
- Players of the Week, May 6-12: Rubby De La Rosa and Mookie Betts
- Cup of Coffee: Streaks continue for Mookie Betts, Chris Martin
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: Anthony Ranaudo