Trade Deadline: Francisco Liriano goes from Twins to White Sox
|07.28.12 at 11:22 pm ET|
The White Sox announced (via twitter) that they acquired left-hander Francisco Liriano from the Twins in exchange for versatile 23-year-old Eduardo Escobar and 23-year-old left-hander Pedro Hernandez.
Liriano, 28, is 3-10 with a 5.31 ERA for the Twins, but he possesses electric stuff that makes him an interesting wild card as a pickup. He has 109 strikeouts in 100 innings, ranking third in the AL with 9.8 strikeouts per nine, but he’s also issued 55 walks (5.0 per nine). He had an eye-opening three-start run earlier this month, going 1-2 but with 31 strikeouts and 10 walks in 20 2/3 innings and forging a 2.61 ERA over that span, but then yielded seven runs in just 2 2/3 innings in his most recent start on July 23.
Escobar is hitting .195/.275/.244/.519 in 35 games this year for Chicago, having played second, third, short and left field. Hernandez was hammered by the Red Sox for eight runs in four innings. He is 8-2 with a 2.54 ERA in 85 2/3 combined innings in Double-A and Triple-A this year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt