Trade Deadline: Francisco Liriano goes from Twins to White Sox
|07.28.12 at 11:22 pm ET|
The White Sox announced (via twitter) that they acquired left-hander Francisco Liriano from the Twins in exchange for versatile 23-year-old Eduardo Escobar and 23-year-old left-hander Pedro Hernandez.
Liriano, 28, is 3-10 with a 5.31 ERA for the Twins, but he possesses electric stuff that makes him an interesting wild card as a pickup. He has 109 strikeouts in 100 innings, ranking third in the AL with 9.8 strikeouts per nine, but he’s also issued 55 walks (5.0 per nine). He had an eye-opening three-start run earlier this month, going 1-2 but with 31 strikeouts and 10 walks in 20 2/3 innings and forging a 2.61 ERA over that span, but then yielded seven runs in just 2 2/3 innings in his most recent start on July 23.
Escobar is hitting .195/.275/.244/.519 in 35 games this year for Chicago, having played second, third, short and left field. Hernandez was hammered by the Red Sox for eight runs in four innings. He is 8-2 with a 2.54 ERA in 85 2/3 combined innings in Double-A and Triple-A this year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo