Trade Deadline: A’s reportedly interested in Jays SS Yunel Escobar, Diamondacks SS Stephen Drew
|07.30.12 at 12:31 pm ET|
After missing out on acquiring Hanley Ramirez, the A’s reportedly have set their sights on Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reported Thursday that Escobar is an option for the A’s, while the Blue Jays are believed to have strong interest in Oakland pitcher Brett Anderson.
On Monday, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported that Arizona’s Stephen Drew had joined Escobar among the A’s top choices at shortstop.
The Jays (51-50) could be willing to deal Escobar given they have highly-touted Cuban prospect Adeiny Hechavarria waiting in the minors.
Heyman reported that the Mariners also could be interested in Escobar.
The 29-year-old is hitting .255 with seven homers and 35 RBIs for Toronto. He is under contract through 2013 with club options for both 2014 and 2015.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches
- Cup of Coffee: Light continues to shine, Portland mounts a comeback
- Red Sox acquire two pitching prospects in Peavy trade
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket pushes streak to 11 games
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson strikes out 12 in win, Betts leads PawSox in route
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball