|Trade Deadline: Nationals, Brewers reportedly interested in Kelly Shoppach||07.31.12 at 1:34 pm ET|
Kelly Shoppach hit a triple and scored a run in Monday night’s 7-3 win over the Tigers, and it may have been his last game as a member of the Red Sox.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe tweeted Tuesday morning that both the Nationals and Brewers are interested in trading for the Red Sox’ backup catcher as Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline looms.
Shoppach, who has spot started behind everyday catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia this season, has played well as a backup all season. In 42 games, he’s hitting .261 with five home runs, 15 RBIs, 11 doubles and his first two career triples.
Shoppach was signed to a one-year, $1.4 million deal before this season and is owed about $470,000 for the remainder of the season, making him easy trade bait. He began his career with the Red Sox in 2005 before stints with the Indians and Rays.
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: Matt Barnes
- Cup of Coffee: Henry, Diaz propel Pawtucket to blowout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Spring's walk-off grand slam lifts Portland
- Bradley: "Everything's back to normal"
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox, Drive produce walk-off wins
- PawSox activate Jackie Bradley, Jr. from disabled list
- Weekly Notes: De La Rosa, Betts take center stage
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw leads 18-hit attack in Sea Dogs rout
- Cup of Coffee: Gedman, big Salem seventh key system’s only win
- Christian Vazquez’s new focus at the plate starting to pay off